• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lagonda

Front exhaust section, late 1989 CTi 1.6

lagonda

This about sums it up from a French equivalent of this forum: "...

Well, that’s a big hassle..
Impossible to find a Walker 15501 for Mrs...
I tried to call all the resellers, and even managed to reach the Walker factory, which doesn't intend to remanufacture it right away.
I bought 3 times from resellers who supposedly had "in stock".."

This is the front section of the exhaust system, which is the downpipe and first silencer all in one. Only two parts to this type, so just this and the rear box. The present one has lasted well, an Arvin-Timax PG209P I fitted as long ago as 2004. Only now, it has started to rust through at the rear flange of the silencer. As this French guy found, sellers here in France are listing them, but invariably, they are not in stock!

My Controle Technique (French MoT test) is imminent so what is the solution ... presumably similar lack of stock in the UK?

Edited by lagonda

welshpug

Looks like 170495 is the oem number,  autodoc list a vegaz pgs-127 in stock currently,  they wont ship something that big to the uk but france I believe they do.

lagonda

Hi,

Yes, research indicates OEM number is 1704 95, as in with olive , not sleeve, joint. Looks like some are available from Autodoc here ... but I've never heard of Vegaz exhausts ... are these as good as OEM or Arvin/Timax? My Arvin one has lasted twenty years and I'd prefer to know its replacement will last as long.

lagonda

Hoping somone can advise their experience with Vegaz exhausts.

I found an old tin of Gungum ... contents almost hard, but noted instructions stated one could soften it with water. That worked, but maybe I added too much, or it's just too old ... whatever, it didn't succeed in sealing the leak. So I really do need a replacement front section.

DamirGTI

2 piece systems are out of production for quite a while , however depending on the month or years time some tend to pop up on stock in small quantity then disappear again .

Why not convert to 3 piece system ? all the bit's for it are usually available , front , middle , back mainly from Bosal or MTS .. sleeve or olive type .

And , if it's just the section of the system rusty , any exhaust shop would be able to fix it with some fresh piping and welding .

D

Leslie green

Did you check the Peugeot museum ? they do list some exhausts .

lagonda

Many thanks for both replies. Checked Peugeot Museum ... seems they can supply some pretty obscure exhausts ... but weirdly not this one.

Damir, I was wondering about the 3 piece system. Would this be a straight fit, and would the "new" intermediate section mate with my (olive joint) existing rear silencer?

Laurence

DamirGTI
2 hours ago, lagonda said:

Would this be a straight fit, and would the "new" intermediate section mate with my (olive joint) existing rear silencer?

Laurence

Yes and no , depending on the brand of the aftermarket system .. there's differences in olive joint dimension .

OE Peugeot olive joint is 68mm (if i remember correctly ?!) , on some of the aftermarket system it's 66mm (like Italian MTS) , Bosal "should" be same as OE .

But that mismatch can be sorted by using universal ex. pipe sleeve joint .

There's a few exhaust manufacture operations mainly Polish origin nowadays , which make various systems including NPF stuff older cars : Izawit , Polmo and a few others ...

Fitted a few of those on other peoples cars , quality wise they're so-so , but overall not too bad either . Price wise they're bargain thus the reason people buying them !

D

SRDT

3 hours ago, lagonda said:

Checked Peugeot Museum ... seems they can supply some pretty obscure exhausts ... but weirdly not this one.

GTI owners grabbed most NOS parts years ago. Original ECIA exhaust parts are expensive but also much better quality.

Leslie green
Posted (edited)

The Peugeot museum make stuff in batches and then it's out of stock for months, as the cti should be same as the gti I'd expect they will have it sonner or later maybe send them a message? 

Edited by Leslie green

lagonda
Posted (edited)

Hi,

Unfortunately my Controle Technique (MoT) was due two months ago, so I can't wait on Museum restocking.

Can no-one comment on how good ... or bad ... Vegaz systems are?

Damir, many thanks for that detail ... can I take it that other than olive joint concerns, a 3 piece will fit? In other words, are all exhaust hangers on the 3 piece system in the same places as the two piece?

Edited by lagonda

pug_ham

You can certainly swap from a two piece to a three piece system, all hangars are in the same position so nothing needs to change.

I did the opposite on one of my 205's (three piece to two piece).

The only difference between the two systems is that the three piece system is very slightly smaller diameter from what I remember.

g

lagonda

Many thanks. Sounds good ... maybe a problem with the olive joint diameters old and new. Will investigate further, hope to get this sorted soon.

pug_ham
On 3/15/2024 at 10:33 AM, lagonda said:

maybe a problem with the olive joint diameters old and new. Will investigate further, hope to get this sorted soon.

The three piece system doesn't have any olive joints, both joints (downpipe to centre & centre to backbox) are sleeve fitment.

g

lagonda

Oh great ... so I'll need to fork out for the entire 3 piece system, even though the rear silencer is fine. Oh well, thanks for the clarification. Might risk a Vegaz correct front section and hope it lasts. I could at least get the present one welded once it's off, so ready to refit if the Vegaz one proves to be cardboard.

DamirGTI

There's both variations of the 3 piece system , early sleeve and late olive joint type .

Apart from the joint type , only the rear silencer is different between the early & late 3 piece system .

Early having absorption and later reflection type silencer .

https://www.retrautosport.com/catalogue-peugeot/peugeot-205-gti-1-9/echappement.html

D

welshpug

The only 3 piece olive system I have seen on an xu is a cat system.