• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Different model rear beams

Richie-Van-GTi

Has anyone ever grafted a different rear beam under their 205 other than 309 or a satchel set up?

Looking at ways to widen the back end on a dimma replica without big spacers. The car came on 7j et35 wheels with 70mm spacers. Thinking I have a very good 206 beam with bigger arb and tb's etc and I believe they are 100mm wider to start with, need to check that.

petert

I have a standard 205 beam with special axles. I originally bought Bridgecraft arms but decided I wanted it a bit wider, so turned up some longer axles. It's not hard if you can use a lathe.

Richie-Van-GTi
31 minutes ago, petert said:

I have a standard 205 beam with special axles. I originally bought Bridgecraft arms but decided I wanted it a bit wider, so turned up some longer axles. It's not hard if you can use a lathe.

I certainly can use a lathe and have access to a HAAS cnc lathe.

Just been under the cars, forgot the 206 beam mounts are forwards if the tube so no way it would fit the 205 without major mods so thats off the cards.

Might have to be 309 beam (if i can find one) and longer axles. Assume.you then made a large shim to bring the calipers etc forward?

SRDT

A pair of 207/208 rear wheel swivels with discs and calipers can be adapted on a 205/309/306 beam:

00093767.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi
5 hours ago, SRDT said:

A pair of 207/208 rear wheel swivels with discs and calipers can be adapted on a 205/309/306 beam:

00093767.jpg

What does this gain? Guessing it means drill the trailing arms, what about brakes?

jord294

Very shortly I'll be supplying 309 width 205 axles

• Like 1

SRDT

It should be a bit wider and it's easy to make a spacer, brake caliper bolt on part n°6.

Richie-Van-GTi
11 hours ago, jord294 said:

Very shortly I'll be supplying 309 width 205 axles

Please send me more information on these

petert

Here is my solution. I lengthened the axles by 25mm and added the same thickness spacer. It's easy with the Bridgecraft arms, as they bore out the hole to Ø29 (from Ø25) when changing the camber/caster. It would be easy if you just wanted extra track width, as you could get someone to bore them straight and enlarge slightly to remove the spline damage. I'd take the opportunity to add some camber however, which does complicate the job.

Rear Axle Spacer.jpg

Edited by petert

jord294

I've got a kit here at mo, that will widen 205 beam 10mm either side

Edited by jord294

Richie-Van-GTi
11 hours ago, petert said:

Here is my solution. I lengthened the axles by 25mm and added the same thickness spacer. It's easy with the Bridgecraft arms, as they bore out the hole to Ø29 (from Ø25) when changing the camber/caster. It would be easy if you just wanted extra track width, as you could get someone to bore them straight and enlarge slightly to remove the spline damage. I'd take the opportunity to add some camber however, which does complicate the job.

Rear Axle Spacer.jpg

So you didn't bother with the splines? I guess they are just to prevent the shaft spinning if the bearing seizes?

We have a Doosan turning centre which could do the splines but I would need to draw them up correctly to work. Wondering if its easier to just buy some from someone that can already make them. Think i would go 20 to 25mm longer.

petert

No splines, just get the press fit tolerance correct. Bridgecraft can supply them.

Richie-Van-GTi

Thanks, will drop them a message, also messaged Stew Baker to see if he can do some longer ones.

petert

I'm guessing you'd like a copy of this DXF file?

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 6.08.52 pm.png

Richie-Van-GTi
9 hours ago, petert said:

I'm guessing you'd like a copy of this DXF file?

Screenshot 2024-02-12 at 6.08.52 pm.png

I wouldn't say no, saves me measuring it. Is yours just aluminium? 

Did you out a sleeve around the shaft as well for the bearings to butt up to?

petert

Axle looks like this. So no sleeve needed.

Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 6.38.19 am.png

• Thanks 1