• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

rny

88 mm Crank in XU10J4rs

rny

Hi,
I need to rebuild my XU10J4rs engine due low oil pressure. I wonder how much I will get if I put a

XUD11 88mm crank with S16 rods and pistons?
Or is it better to go standard?

Regards, Robert

petert

That is definitely the easiest (cheapest) way to do it, otherwise you'll need new rods as well. If you're spending money on rods though, you're better off using K20 pistons and custom longer rods.

rny

Ok, how much more effect will it give?

rny

Or what do I win or loose when I’m going for 88 mm crank with S16 Pistons?

SRDT
9 hours ago, rny said:

XUD11 88mm crank

XUD9, the XUD11 crank is another beast.

You can also look for a 2.0 HDI crank:

petert
23 hours ago, rny said:

Ok, how much more effect will it give?

Increase capacity from 1998 to 2044cc.

Increase CR from 10.8:1 to 11:1

Thus more torque and more power everywhere.

Richie-Van-GTi

Sorry to hijack, what are the options if I have an 88mm crank from a diesel but cant find the s16 rods and pistons? Can i buy some other rods and retain the std pistons or retain the rods and buy other pistons etc? What height difference do I need to reduce by?

petert

This is how I see it. Others may have other opinions.

XU10J4RS Pistons & Rods

Rods are 158mm long and have a pressed pin. This makes them a pain to disassemble and re-assemeble. You could bush the small end, but it would be a smaller diameter and require custom pistons. If you condiser the cost of bushing and new rod bolts, you may as well bought new rods. The pistons have very shallow valve pockets, so you need to spend money getting that altered anyway, if you want to make any sort of decent hp. Once they're out of the engine, you may as well buy new pistons, unless you want originality. Comp height is 34.

XU10J4 Pistons & Rods

Rods are 152mm long with a Ø23mm full floating pin. They're easy to re-assemble. The pistons have deep pockets which can accommodate around 0.070" lift at TDC when used with an 88mm crank. Again, once they're out of the engine, you may as well buy new pistons, unless you want originality. Beware that Wossner only sell them with Ø22 pins. Why? Who knows. Comp height is 39.1mm.

My advice is to find some XU10J4 rods (I have plenty) and buy new Wiseco 86.5mm pistons from Flatlander. That will be cheaper than K20 pistons and custom rods. Assuming you're not building a race engine.

Block height is 235.1mm. Thus

43 + 152 + 39.1 = 234.1 (oem)

44 + 152 + 39.1 = 235.1
43 + 158 + 34 = 235

Edited by petert

welshpug

I agree with Peter, find a piston you can make work, get a rod made to suit

Beware of the wossner stuff, certainly their gti6 piston is way off their stated compression ratio, its almost as if they took the S16/mi piston and adjusted the pin height only, it has to be why so many dont make good power or last long, they ping their tits off from running so high a compression figure unless you have a good mapper.

Edited by welshpug

Richie-Van-GTi

Shopping about and looks like i wont get anything under £600, been a while since i looked into these kinds of things. Seems to have got a lot more expensive.

welshpug

Sounds about right, my robson rods were £580+vat a few years back.

I dont think stuff has gone up that much.