• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
greenclaws1975

Second chance 205 XS

greenclaws1975

Hi y'all.  About time I introduced myself and my latest car a 1990 205 XS.

I owned a 205 XS  years ago F350 HNE and always regretted selling it (sold to my neighbours son who crashed  it after a week :angry:).  It was a double kick  in the b******* really  as id skimmed 40 thou of the head.. gas ported , fitted new rings, sports exhaust and air filter etc. I dont think it improved the performance that much but plenty fast enough to get a day in court  and a telling of from the judge.... 'when i was a student I didn't even have a motor car...never mind one capable of in excess of 100 mph ' :(

Remember saying to the Policeman at the roadside  'its only a 1.4' ... :unsure:

Anyway i was as scrolling through  ebay the other day    (always dangerous) and  this caught my attention ,, uncharacteristically I don't seem to have bought a pile of rubbish this time!!. No airbags, electronic crap, crashbars ..it's perfect ..what was i thinking selling it all those years ago!

Times have really changed since the late 1990's !. I bought my first XS from a salvage yard (Simpsons Salvage)  for £195 that had an 'engine fire' that turned out to be a piston through the engine block. No matter I found another engine in a scrapyard for £60..then a taxi pulled out infront of me and flattened the nsf chassis leg. Remember cutting a leg of another XS in my local yard and welding it back on and the radiator and bumpers being 10 a penny :)

Now I'm struggling to find even basic service parts.

Got a few questions for you knowledgeable 205  folk. 

Should a 1990 G plate car have clear indicators and amber non smoked rear lights ?.  I get conflicting info on google  

Dipstick handle  is broken. Will a 206 dipstick from any TU engine car fit ?

It seems to be sitting a bit too jacked up at the front I was wondering if it has diesel front  springs on. Height from the floor to the lip of the wheelarch is 647mm if that's anything to go by..but it looks like it wants to take off! 

Do Peugeot stock any 205 bits or will they just laugh in my face  when i get to the sales counter?

Will the rear axle be knackered after 125k miles? - it seems to sit level

Exhaust hot air shroud is missing. Are these available ?

Thanks for reading folks too much waffle from me ..apologies for the long post!

20240118_175844.jpg

Tom Fenton

Welcome to the site. Looks a nice tidy XS.

They did always sit pretty high at the front, if anything the back looks a bit low. It should have orange front indicators yes on a 1990 G car.

There are some 205 bits left via Peugeot although less as time goes on. Only way to find out is try for the bits you need. 

If not previously touched, the rear beam will likely want some attention by now.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

greenclaws1975

Thanks Tom.  I'm quite surprised how solid it is really. Thought id got lucky and the paint was original.. but it's  definitely had a respray thats faded to orange

Its certainly in better condition than the white  XS I bought back in 1998.

Changed the indicators over to orange I think it looks better that way. Axle has definitely not been touched its very crusty and the roughest part of the car

FB_IMG_1707089203673.jpg