• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sanzen

Help with clutch cable

Sanzen

Hi Everyone

I'm in New Zealand and can't find any mechanic with much experience with GTI's...

I've got a 1989 Phase 1.5 GTI with a BE1 gearbox. I've just done a brake servo/master cylinder replacement and as part of that had to take the pedal box out. All seems to be back correctly however I'm having problems with the clutch cable.

1. When cable is not connected to the clutch arm pivot, the pedal is flat to the floor as per the spring which I believe is correct.

2. When I attempt to tighten up the cable with the 2 nuts, the clutch arm pivot moves thus meaning that I don't have any travel when I then push the clutch pedal down.

It seems as though the clutch arm pivot is not holding in place and therefore only moving back when I depress the clutch pedal. I've checked the pivot and it's not bent.

Everything was working fine before I did the change so I really don't know what I'm missing.

Would really appreciate any help as it's the last thing I need to sort before getting this back on the road after an 18 month restoration 

welshpug

The nuts on the cable are for adjustment, you dont wind them all the way in.

Do you have the circa 35mm long pin between the Clutch quadrant and the clutch arm?

Sanzen

Yep, I've got the pin and the spring as well. Had to get the spring from youngtimers because it was missing.

If I try and set the clutch pedal to the correct height then the pivot arm is pulled back towards the bulkhead

20231227_181129.jpg

20231227_181112.jpg

Edited by Sanzen