• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

driversdomainuk

205 Cylinder Head 1.6 vs 1.9

driversdomainuk

Hi

I'm needing to source a cylinder head for my 205 1.9 8v. It’s going to have lots of work, porting, larger valves rally cam etc.

Im looking online and there are a few for sale but unsure if they are 1.9 or 1.6 origin.

Does it make a difference? Especially as I’m going to change the valves, porting etc

thanks

Rob 

welshpug

If its from a 115 bhp 1.6 and 128 bhp 1.9 they are the same casting.

Low compression 105 bhp 1.9 has a larger chamber and shorter valves.

SRDT

1.6 105hp is also not good and BX 1.9 GTI and 405 1.9 SRI engines won't do either unless it's the ones with cat ; those have the same 122hp engine that the 205.

On the other hand you can find this "big valves" head on more mundane engines like a 309 mk2 1.6 (XU52C) or a 405/306 1.8 8v (XU7JP).

I can't tell you if there is as much material on an small valves head but the availability of a big valves one should be much better and you won't have to pay a GTI price for it.

petert

Indeed, engines such as the BDY XU5M have the same big valve head as D6B and DKZ but with a small cam.