• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Soft Cosmic Rusk

TU2j2 head - mech fuel pump and single carb?

Soft Cosmic Rusk

Hi

I have a 205 with a TU3 block and a TU2J2 head. It currently has a set of sidedraught 2-barrel carbs and an aftermarket fuel pump that I would like to replace with more "normal" components for a carb 205, not just to improve driveability but also to pass inspection...

There are a few other problems with the engine as well (low compression, possible blown head gasket), but if I managed to sort them out, I wonder if it would be possible to install a normal mechanical fuel pump on this head? I think it's missing the extra cam lobe for the pump, but what if I installed a TU24-style camshaft? I'm not entirely clear on how the mechanical fuel pump is supposed to attach.

Also the dual carbs aren't entirely legal where I live. Should a standard 205 TU single carb (1 or 2 barrel) intake manifold fit the TU2J2 head? The port placement looks about the same, but it's hard to judge from pictures.

Edited by Soft Cosmic Rusk

Soft Cosmic Rusk

Addition:

Now I've become in doubt about the camshaft bearing size. According to this page:

https://en.oreca-store.com/312-camshaft-tu2j2-tu3-engines-for-peugeot-106-rallye-1-3l-and-1-6l-and-peugeot-205-rallye.html

the 106 Rallye should have the same 42.44 mm cam bearings as the 205 Rallye. But here:

https://www.peugeot-tuning-parts.co.uk/peugeot-106-rallye-cat-cams-4900645-sport-cam

it says that the 106 Rallye uses larger 44.12 mm bearings.

Previous threads on this forum also indicate that the cams are not interchangeable, e.g.: 

So that's the end of that, I think. Unless there's another cam that would fit in the 2J2 head and allow a mechanical fuel pump.