• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Lukespeed

1.9 8v replacement block with an mi16

Lukespeed

Evening!

I purchased a spare 1.9 engine a couple of years ago... in the dark... and now on closer inspection it's cracked all along the rear of the block!

I've been offered a 1.9 mi16 bottom end at a reasonable price, is the block a direct swap? Or are modifications needed?

I'm not scared of a bit of work as I've rebuilt a few standard engines before, I just haven't ever swapped a block out for none original!

Edited by Lukespeed
Typo

petert

It's mostly a direct swap. I'm building one now for a customer. ie Mi16 block, rods & pistons with 8V head. It's easiest if you use all late model, eccentric cam belt tensioner parts and covers. The dipstick is in the wrong position, but that's easily changed.

• Like 1

Lukespeed
54 minutes ago, petert said:

It's mostly a direct swap. I'm building one now for a customer. ie Mi16 block, rods & pistons with 8V head. It's easiest if you use all late model, eccentric cam belt tensioner parts and covers. The dipstick is in the wrong position, but that's easily changed.

Cheers, is the dipstick being in the wrong position an issue with fitting it in the car, or just awkward to use?

petert

Depends what inlet manifold you're using. You can easily plug the Mi16 hole and drill the boss in the back of the block for an 8V dip stick.

• Like 1

SRDT

You could also use a random 8v block aside from the very early ones and the last XU7JB.

16v blocks are special, 8v ones not so much.