• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve205

Violent shaking gear stick

Steve205

Good evening all. 

I need some guidance as to likely cause of my latest issue.

My 1989 1.6 gti Be 1 gearbox has developed a violently shaking gear stick at certain speeds.  Mainly while cruising at approx 3000rpm in 3rd/4th/5th gear.

Vibration also noticeable in footwell.

Can disappear if you drive her on.

I thought it might be the new Fast road gearbox mount I had put in about 800 miles ago. 

I sourced a good OE gearbox mount at the weekend and replaced fast road one. Problem still persists and seems to be happening more often as time goes on. Other mounts look fairly decent condition.  

Only started happening in last 400 miles. 

Have car 3.5 years or so. Have done 15,000 miles in her. Odometer reads 136600. 

History is sketchy at best. But a lot of maintenance has gone into her in my ownership.  

Car due to go for a new timing belt in 2 weeks time. Was hoping to have a direction in which to point the mechanic. 

Any help/guidance would be great. Ye have been a great help at solving my previous problems. 

Thanks. 

Stephen 

jord294

A decent set up I tend to use, is genuine top mounts and gearbox mount and bbm bottom mount.

I make sure the top mount is nestled nicely between the 2 buffers by shimming up properly 

Tom Fenton

If you lift your foot and coast, does the shaking stop?

PhilNW

Is it engine speed related or road speed related?

Check the driveshafts. Had a driveshaft go bad recently, caused such a vibration that it loosened the alternator and threw the belt off. 

Edited by PhilNW

Steve205

Jord, definite Oe gearbox mount at the moment. Other 2 mounts look to be in decent shape. Gearbox mount wasn't secured properly when I went to swap it out. Nut wasn't tight. Unless this then caused the vibration by putting something out of line in drive train? 

Tom, It stops it I press in the clutch. So does vibration in offside wheel well. If I increase speed it also stops after a few seconds. 

Phil , it seems to be engine speed related. Especially about 3000rpm in 3/4/5 gears.

There also seems to be a vibration through steering wheel from offside wheel well area. Very frustrating. 

Getting wheels balanced and new tyres all round tomorrow.  Don't see this being the issue, but due to be done anyway. 

Thanks. Stephen 

Edited by Steve205
Extra info

PhilNW

Next couple of things I would check

Are gearbox to engine bolts tight?

Check wheels for dents/out of round?

Tom Fenton
14 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

If you lift your foot and coast, does the shaking stop?

You haven't really answered this, I asked it for a reason, it sounds like it is an inner cv joint worn from my experience, when not under power it tends to stop the shaking if it is this.

Steve205

Will check this later Tom. Will let you know the outcome.  

Thanks again. 

Stephen 

Steve205

Update.

Had car out while ago. Started vibrating wildly at gearstick and in footwell at 3200rpm when held steady at this engine speed.

In 5th gear I lifted off accelerator and coasted numerous times only for vibration to either get worse or stay the same. 

In 4th gear at same rpm I lifted off and coasted and vibration ceased immediately. 

In both gears if I accelerated hard past 3200rpm  it stopped vibration. 

In both gears if I pressed in clutch cockpit was instantly smooth and silent. 

I  drove her hard on way home and there was no vibration in gearstick when you kept her keen above 5000rpm. Steering and gear shift behaved brilliantly when driving her on.

More baffled than ever.

Stephen 

welshpug

I'd certainly lift the front up and look for play between the bar of the driveshaft and the cv cups inner and outer

Steve205

Yes. It certainly seems to be cv joint/driveshaft related. On off side of car. When you turn left vibration in footwell increases.  

Stephen 

Steve205

Got timing belt and water pump done today. They also replaced the top engjne mount. It looked new enough but when removed it was approximately half the height it should be. Vibration in steering has ceased. 

Kudos to yourselves.  Inner CV joint offside needs replacing too. The inner shaft has a good bit of play in it. They are ordering new driveshaft.  Hopefully it won't be difficult to source.

Thanks for the advice. 

Will update when fitted. 

Stephen 

Steve205

Got new offside driveshaft fitted last Friday.

Shaking gear stick is gone. 

Took her for a few long runs over the weekend and it was like a totally different car.

It was a pleasure to drive and enjoy. 

Thank you all very much again. 

Ye are a fantastic group to help others out when stuck with a problem. Really appreciate it. 

Thanks. 

Stephen