• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nithy

Starter solenoid - getting stuck

Nithy

Occasionally when I switch off the car and then try to restart it, there is just a click. One click. So I tap the solenoid gently with a mallot and I can hear is release back and then engine starts. I have tightened some of the lose wiring etc, and it has got better but still does it now and then.

Should I replace the solenoid ? or are there anything else I should look at?

Cheers

Nithy

Richie-Van-GTi

Next time try to apply 12v to the starter solenoid with a jump lead.

Common fault for the starter solenoid wire to fail, usually at the multiplug. A new wire direct from the switch to the solenoid fixes the issue

Nithy

What should happen when I apply the power to the solenoid directly?  I mean what fault am I looking for here? also how do I tell?

Thank

Nithy

welshpug

You're looking for whether the starter works with a good clean 12v signal.

Typically the wire corrodes badly, also most years have an unsealed plug near the AFM which can add resistance.

petert

We don't have issues with corrosion in Aus., but we do have issues with the contacts in key barrel wearing out and not being able to supply enough current.  A 12V relay placed near the battery/starter solves the issue. The same thing happens with 405's and Xantia.

Anthony

Just to add to what's been written above - and it might be different in your warmer part of the world - but certainly here in cold and damp Blighty the original "fat bodied" starter motors always seemed to be particularly prone to these issues even when everything else was otherwise good.  Junking them and fitting a later "slim bodied" Valeo starter motor from a late XU 1.8/2.0 16v engine tended to prove far more reliable in my experience.  Only thing that you need to change is the spade connector for the solenoid over to an ring connector.