• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

MarcelBF84

Sunroof rubber seal

MarcelBF84

Hello all, 

I recently bought a 1.9 GTI with sunroof which was repainted by the previous owner, for that reason they removed the sunroof but unfortunately they were not able to put it back as it should, the sunroof lever is broken (looking for one in case someone has btw), but my first question is related with the rubber seal. In my car it is just attached but it’s not fixed there, it can be easily removed by hand. My question is, it is like that because the vacuum is not working and as soon as I fix this it’s going to expand and stay fixed? Or was I supposed to use PU glue or something like that to make it correctly fixed and with no leak?

cheers

stewal

Not sure what you mean by just attached, but the seal is a push fit around the aperture rim. Without vacuum, the seal is tight against the glass and the vacuum sucks it down when applied by the handle (which also operates the locking cables).

MarcelBF84

Hey Stewal, that's what I mean, as you can see in the photo, the rubber can easily be removed by just using the fingers. I'm pretty much sure this is not right regardless of the vacuum working or not. So I'm wondering if it will be OK if I use PU or any other product to glue in its position so it will be fixed and most importantly, not leaking

20230910_130615.jpg

stewal

If you look on the underside of the seal you will see how the seal is pushed over the rim. I guess if the seal is tired and it's not gripping enough a little black rubber sealant would help but I  would avoid glue.

MarcelBF84

Ok, so I'll remove the entire rubber to check it's integrity before I decide to buy a new one or use the sealant