• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ozymandis

NAPA / APEC 1.6 driveshafts

Ozymandis

I had a 20% discount from a large factors who have the best prices regionally. Having just dipped into my stock of genuine new  1.6 shafts, and used a pair, I realised i`m down to my last 2 pairs.

I ordered a pair of NAPA branded and a pair of APEC branded, they were 43 quid apiece inc vat etc.

They were dropped off this morning.

They are identical, the same shafts in each branded box.

They use the solid bodied not  tin can type inner joints.

They are all rubbish and are going back.

Three had free play in the inner joints, two were worse than a clunky 140,000 mile shaft and one was acceptable.

Two had acceptable lack of play and free moving outer joints, one had some play and one had a shedload of play.

My conclusion is the quality controls terrible, I would only ever use either brand if I could open all the boxes and select a decent pair otherwise i`d not bother.

No C O O on em, the only info is NAPA touting the grade of steel used as CF53. Heat treating steel.

Cheap s*ite as i thought, but until You try You never know.

Im going to get another couple of pairs of different brands and have a look at those, then report back.

Tom Fenton

I would not order anything else from NAPA after a new starter motor that lasted less than 12 months.

Try J&R driveshafts from Birmingham, I have used 1.6 shafts and they have been "OK", they are cheap enough, the ones I bought had tight enough joints when supplied.

PhilNW

I bought a RH 1.9 NAPA one and it suffered from the classic mis-machining and would not seat properly on the hub.

Do the 1.6's fit OK?

Ozymandis
On 8/3/2023 at 9:09 AM, PhilNW said:

I bought a RH 1.9 NAPA one and it suffered from the classic mis-machining and would not seat properly on the hub.

Do the 1.6's fit OK?

I  didnt try them for fit, keeping them in the sealed plastic bags so as I could return them with no hassle. Theres no problem with testing them by hand within the bags, several had a distinct CLACK. Its not just these brands or even 205 1.9 fitment ones with the poor seating shape, many other vehicles with the same size wheel bearing and drive flange , e.g. berlingo, partner, zx, 306 and picasso, no name brands and SKF ones that I personally have come across. My experience is that grinding the flange seating area sorts it and they can work properly for years, the shafts seem durable enough just a bad fit.

Im loathe to try jr ones as they have a terrible reputation online for poor customer service and may be a problem to return.

Edited by Ozymandis

PhilNW
On 8/4/2023 at 3:09 PM, Ozymandis said:

I  didnt try them for fit, keeping them in the sealed plastic bags so as I could return them with no hassle. Theres no problem with testing them by hand within the bags, several had a distinct CLACK. Its not just these brands or even 205 1.9 fitment ones with the poor seating shape, many other vehicles with the same size wheel bearing and drive flange , e.g. berlingo, partner, zx, 306 and picasso, no name brands and SKF ones that I personally have come across. My experience is that grinding the flange seating area sorts it and they can work properly for years, the shafts seem durable enough just a bad fit.

I had it machined to get correct fit. I had a GKN/Lobro hub for them to work from.