• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
actimelryan

205 1.6 Auto Non Start

actimelryan

Hi, ive got a 1.6 auto carb model. I'm not getting a spark which I think is possibly down to the ignition amplifier as ive got 12V to the amp and to the coil but not getting an earth to the coil. I know the pickup on the distributor is good. Is there a way of testing the amp or is it a case of fit new? Thanks!

boldy205

Have you tried earthing the amp directly so rule out a bad earth?

actimelryan

No! Do you know which wire is what? On all diagrams they are 7 or 8 pin but this is a 3 pin connector plus the 2 for the distributor pickup

boldy205

Really not sure on which wires are what. 

Can you get a picture?

Tom Fenton

The coil doesn't have a permanent earth. The ign amp earths the coil to make it generate the spark. You've given us little info to go on, but assuming it was running at some time previously and suddenly stopped, and its one of the square type dry coils, I would try changing that first. I've had a couple go down on me over the years, literally driving along one minute and stop the next.

Anthony

You mention that you've tested the dizzy pickup as good - did you test for the signal at the ignition amp itself?

I'm not particularly familiar with the 1.6 automatic models, but certainly on Jetronic GTi/CTi models there is a short signal cable from the dizzy that is prone to breaking (usually where it connects to the dizzy) and a 3-pin plug where it joins the main loom can suffer from damp or corrosion that is enough to stop the weak signal from switching the ignition amp and firing the coil.

actimelryan
2 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

The coil doesn't have a permanent earth. The ign amp earths the coil to make it generate the spark. You've given us little info to go on, but assuming it was running at some time previously and suddenly stopped, and its one of the square type dry coils, I would try changing that first. I've had a couple go down on me over the years, literally driving along one minute and stop the next.

The coil should earth when cranking even it fires on each cylinder, but I'm not getting this earth. Don't want to change the coil until I'm getting a switched earth to the coil

actimelryan
1 hour ago, Anthony said:

You mention that you've tested the dizzy pickup as good - did you test for the signal at the ignition amp itself?

I'm not particularly familiar with the 1.6 automatic models, but certainly on Jetronic GTi/CTi models there is a short signal cable from the dizzy that is prone to breaking (usually where it connects to the dizzy) and a 3-pin plug where it joins the main loom can suffer from damp or corrosion that is enough to stop the weak signal from switching the ignition amp and firing the coil.

Unfortunately the amp actually plugs into the pickup so no wires to check. I've checked continuity between the amp and coil and that's good

• Like 1

DamirGTI

An base model type ignition amp. , mounted directly on the distributor - these have habit of more frequent failure , cause of the heat and vibrations (and thermal paste drying out) .

If the pick up coil tested out good , i'd try another spare known good ignition amp. .. mount with an dab of fresh heat sink paste and see what happens .

D

actimelryan
3 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

An base model type ignition amp. , mounted directly on the distributor - these have habit of more frequent failure , cause of the heat and vibrations (and thermal paste drying out) .

If the pick up coil tested out good , i'd try another spare known good ignition amp. .. mount with an dab of fresh heat sink paste and see what happens .

D

I've got a brand new Bosch amp on order and some thermal paste. I'll let you know the outcome! Thanks everyone