• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Phil Gti

Is it possible

Phil Gti

I have 205 Gti petrol cap that is damaged. Is it possible to buy a replacement and swap the barrels so I can retain the original key. If so are there any guides how to do this?

Leslie green

You can swap the coloured bit if that's what you mean which part is damaged ?

Gohn

this post helps will help you take it apart

but as Leslie suggests it depends which part is damaged

I only needed to swap the cap trim so can't remember if its possible to take out the key barrel or not

Phil Gti

The metal face the key slots into is damaged. I was hoping that was part of the fuel cap and I could remove the existing barrell and refit to a replacement cap.

Leslie green

Found this ,it seems its very tricky at best :

SRDT

If you can take out the metal cassette and glue it back like with the other locks you should be fine.

DamirGTI

Yes , i've done it before .. pretty much all locks/barrels matched to one key , petrol cap and boot lock/barrel are for sure more involving though to match to the key cos you need to disassemble them to get to the actual lock mechanism . 

(you can take the barrel "pins" out or leave just a 2 or 3 so they matches 2 or 3 key grooves so you can unlock/lock - just don't tell anyone if you cannot arrange all the pins to the key or decide to take them out completely !)

D

Edited by DamirGTI

SRDT

There are only 5 lengths for the pins so you don't have to open too many locks before finding what you need, you can also file them if needed.