• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James85

Engine mounts

James85

Hi folks, recently had all the mounts changed over on my 89 1.6 gti, since getting it back there seems to be more movement in the engine than with the old original ones fitted, had it back to the mechanic who advised after looking at it there seems to be a bit more play in the top mount ( by the timing belt cover) said he check the bottom mount and there was no movement ( one below the batt tray) just wondered if anyone had the issue when changing mounts, is there any specific way to fit as I would have assumed the garage would have just changed over like for like? Was advised by the seller of the mounts shims may be needed but would have thought if the original didn’t have shims the new ones wouldn’t, heading to the garage tomorrow just wondered if there was any advice I could pass onto the mechanic if anyone has fitted mounts themselves recently, Tia james

PhilNW

Need to add shims as necessary to match the new rubbers ,

Not enough shims the engine will rock as it goes on and off power.

And not too tight as you will get vibration into the chassis.

Edited by PhilNW