• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wilson9068

AFM Part Numbers and availability

wilson9068

Im a new member and I am trying to find out a bit about AFMs as my car is running rich and has failed the MOT. The garage believe it to be a faulty AFM and have told me they have tested it without success. I have a 1990 205 GTI 1.9 which I believe is XU9J1 engine. The car currently has an AFM with the part number 0280202056, but I think it should have 0280202109. Until now it had always passed the MOT without any problems but it now seems the AFM may have given up or suffered some deterioration. I also had a lot of miss-firing to the extent that it blew open the back box of the exhaust along the crimped seam. The garage removed the injector rail and tested the injectors and found fault with one of them and resolved the problem. This seems to have eliminated the miss-fire. The garage also replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator at the same time. I cant find a new AFM though so I am wondering if anyone has any advice. The car also idles extremely erratically now and I woneder if this may in part due to the messing with the AFM the garage may have done. 

Does anyone know where to source new AFMs and if this may likely be the problem. I have sourced a used AFM with the part number 0280202109 but if someone could let me know if this is correct I would be grateful? Also any other advice as to why it may be running rich and idling erratically? 

Many thanks. 

welshpug

056 is a 1.6 AFM,   109 is the 1.9,   both are Jetronic systems so they will "work" to a certain extent, never tried them back to back so I couldn't tell you what using the wrong one would do specifically.

highly unlikely you will find a "new"  Bosch afm these days, I recall asking a peugeot dealer some 18 years ago for a price and got told £350!      sent mine away at the time to ATP electronics and received a remanufactured unit in return which worked great for £150 from memory.

they are the only company in the UK that I have ever seen doing them,   https://www.atcdrivetrain.co.uk/search/results.html?manufacturer=22&model=150&year=1989&vehicleref=&atpref=&submit=Search

looks like after almost 20 years they're around £300,  they do a test service also.

DamirGTI

I had and run 1.9 DFZ for a while .. though it was on complete 1.9 D6B engine management , was running fine , fired straight up good idle no problems what so ever just slightly on a rich side mixture wise (didn't really want mess around re-tune it , as it was intended for complete resto project anyways) .

Correct AFM for 1.9 DFZ is : Bosch 0280202097

https://www.rebelcar.fr/standard-exchange-of-a-reconditioned-bosch-air-flow-meter-for-peugeot-205-gti-cti-1-9-105-hp.htm

Can still find second hand/used ones for around 30-50EU .. as 1.9 DFZ also went in the 309/405/BX etc.

D

DamirGTI
21 hours ago, wilson9068@hotmail.com said:

The garage also replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator

is also different , 1.9 DFZ specific item (as well as injectors) ... 2.7Bar if remember ... all the other 1.6/1.9 XU's use 3.0Bar regulator .

D

wilson9068
1 hour ago, DamirGTI said:

is also different , 1.9 DFZ specific item (as well as injectors) ... 2.7Bar if remember ... all the other 1.6/1.9 XU's use 3.0Bar regulator .

D

Thanks. I checked the FPR and it should run at 3bar on the 1.9 so that what I got. The car now starts on the button every time hot or cold. It just the rich running and the eratic idle that needs resolving now. 

What is a DFZ please? 

welshpug

Its the lower power version

DamirGTI
33 minutes ago, wilson9068@hotmail.com said:

I checked the FPR and it should run at 3bar on the 1.9 so that what I got.

You have wrong press. regulator then .. and excess fuel pressure by using it especially in conjunction with 1.9 DFZ injectors and 1.9 D6B AFM .

Again , for 1.9 DFZ engine you need 2.5Bar regulator : Bosch 0 280 160 225

D

wilson9068
8 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

You have wrong press. regulator then .. and excess fuel pressure by using it especially in conjunction with 1.9 DFZ injectors and 1.9 D6B AFM .

Again , for 1.9 DFZ engine you need 2.5Bar regulator : Bosch 0 280 160 225

D

OK so Im struggling to follow some of this. I have a XU9J engine, the Haynes manual says it should have a regulated fuel pressure between 2.9 - 3.1bar and the original regulator that came off the car was a 3 bar regulator. Im not sure where the DFZ reference is coming from I am afraid? 

Edited by wilson9068@hotmail.com

DamirGTI

Haynes is wrong/misleading on that statement  , sorry .

For XU9J1 , part No. by Peugeot : 1563 A0      :

http://www.miamistu.co.uk/pug/GB/205F/1/15E55A.HTM

2.5Bar (not 3.0Bar) .

Originally they (XU9j1) had : Bosch 0 280 160 225 regulators , now new replacement Bosch regulator is 0 280 160 257

"DFZ" is Peugeot/Citroen code for XU9J1 engine .

Can find correct used regulator on a scrapyard , they rarely go bad ... these where fitted also on BMW E30/E28 318/518 , and Saab 9000 2.0 T

Or buy an adjustable FPR and set it to 2.5Bar .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

welshpug
1 hour ago, wilson9068@hotmail.com said:

OK so Im struggling to follow some of this. I have a XU9J engine, the Haynes manual says it should have a regulated fuel pressure between 2.9 - 3.1bar and the original regulator that came off the car was a 3 bar regulator. Im not sure where the DFZ reference is coming from I am afraid? 

you said in you first post XU9J 1    , this is a 105 bhp low compression engine typically found in auto models and CTi models.

its unlikely you have one of these,   more likely it will be an XU9J  A,   also known as D6B,  which is the 128 bhp engine.

3 bar is correct for this engine, and the afm ending in 109,   a dizzy part number engine in 066, and yellow capped bosch injectors.

DamirGTI

Indeed .. check the engine code riveted on the block (on the corner of the block near the alternator) if still there and standard

... so we know what we're dealing with here .

D

Tom Fenton

What colour are the injectors that are fitted? Yellow, blue, or black?

wilson9068
20 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

What colour are the injectors that are fitted? Yellow, blue, or black?

Hi the injectors are yellow. The riveted label on the engine is not present but the chassis number is VF320CD6223672302. Its definitely not an auto or CTI model. I have attached a few photos for reference below.  

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

wilson9068

Since these photos were taken I have replaced the air intake hose, the one between air filter and AFM and the one between AFM and inlet manifold. As mentioned earlier I have also replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Tom Fenton

The reason I asked is that in my experience you need the injectors that match with the air flow meter. Yellow injectors are correct for 128bhp 1.9 GTI. I once tried a 1.9 AFM on a 1.6 car with its blue injectors and it did not run well. The correct 1.9 air flow meter ends 109.

The bad idle is probably down to bad setup tbh. Not many people know how to set these cars up properly any more.