• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmt

Light flywheel

mmt

Hi guys

I’m changing my clutch and pressure plate… while I’m in there…are there any disadvantages in lightened flywheels? I’m looking at a 3,6 kg one. Not cheap but is it worth it? 
Race car only. 

thanks 

petert

If it's race only, you're better off buying a 184mm flywheel and clutch. Whilst a std Mi16 size flywheel/clutch can manage the torque, those three straps on the outside don't like high RPM downshifts. Mixing an expensive light flywheel with an oem spec clutch is sort of wasting money.

eg

AP Racing

184mm single plate clutch assembly

: CP7381-OE80-SF

Driven Plate

:8400-A019 4 paddle

54mm CP3457 release bearing

You'll notice the difference in acceleration in 1st and 2nd.

Edited by petert
  • Thanks 1

mmt

Thanks Peter - I was counting on you :-)

I ‘ m looking at Sachs sinter metal clutch (4 paddels and springs as I do not want it without springs) and uprated pressure plate to add clamping Force together with the light 205 Gti spec. Flywheel. (200 mm). Would that be a good combination? 

I’m not sure I understand what you mean by those three straps on the outside don't like high RPM downshifts. ? 

thanks again

petert

The "strap plate" only likes to go forward. On a big downshift it will buckle. The plate I suggested above is bonded cerametallic and much easier to drive than sintered. It's fine without springs once it's bedded in and used in rally cars. You did say race car only?

The issue with TTV and other very light flywheels, is that they are one piece. Damage the ring gear and the flywheel is toast. Unlikely I know, but keep it in mind. The best oem flywheel is the Motronic 8V, as fitted to BDY (XU5M) and DKZ. It can be redrilled to the Ø184PCD and lightened. Obviously it can't be as light as a TTV but is certainly more robust and will take more abuse. Additionally, a Ø184mm clutch cover is much lighter than oem.

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 8.05.36 pm.png

Edited by petert

SRDT

Even if the 184mm clutch was as heavy as the 200mm one it would have lower inertia.

The smaller footprint means that you can also remove more material on the flywheel.

mmt

Thanks guys. Ordered new stuff hopefully I Will be able to complete races without breaking down. 

went with the Sachs Racing stuff as that is what my race part pusher stocks. 

picture of slightly worn plate- 6 laps in. 

IMG_5132.jpeg

• Like 1

petert

Type of product is important not the brand.

• Like 1