• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rallyace

1900 Targa Rally engine

Rallyace

This has been a long time coming, but the Targa engine is finally finished, installed and mapped. It’s first event will the Rally of East Yorkshire on Sunday 4th June. 

For those that have read my previous posts, the spec of the engine is as follows:

1900cc 8 valve

Home modified head and standard valves with 3 angle seats

Cat Cams “fast road/gravel” camshaft

Piper vernier cam pulley

Standard crank

1600 pistons to achieve a 12.2:1 CR

Lightweight flywheel

ARP big end bolts

Standard plenum chamber and injection

Standard throttle body 

Home made - long tract to Pipercross air filter

No AFM or SAD

4:1 stainless exhaust manifold and twin box system

Omex 600 ECU 

I know that rolling road figures are always open to debate, as there are so many variables, but I was pleased to hear that, on his rolling road, Mike Gilman of Mikeanics in Cheshire, said that it was the best that he has seen on standard plenum chamber and injection.

The most important thing is what does it go like? Well compared to my previous engine, which has served me well and even took us to a win last year, the difference is incredible. To be fair to the old engine, it has been 100% reliable and was just a very tired standard 1600, running on the full standard injection and ignition.

As I mentioned earlier, I realise that these figures were obtained on a specific day and rolling road, but for what they are worth they were:

156.61 BHP @ 5675 rpm, with a nice flat torque curve, peaking at 150.84 ftlb @ 5136 rpm.

I have also changed the final drive to a 4.4:1 in a 1900 BE3 gearbox with a 3J plated diff.

This is a change from the 4.8:1 CWP, again in a 1900 BE3, with a TranX/Quaiffe plated diff that I ran last year. I feel that the extra torque from the new engine is better suited to the 4.4:1 final drive. I still the original box if I feel that I have gone in the wrong direction. 

I might put something up after the next event as an update.

• Like 2

allanallen

That’s a great result with the standard inlet! You don’t know the cam model number so you? 
mikeanics figures are ‘in line’ with most others, my mi on bodies made the benchmark 180bhp there so sensible. 

309jazzpanda

Also interested in what model camshaft you have in there, I'm planning a new engine for Targa myself. 

pug_ham

That's a decent result for power on an 8v on relatively mild state of tune.

I bet it flies with the 4.4 fd,

I know my mildly tuned 1.9 8v on MP3.1 was like night and day compared to an otherwise standard unit and pulled away from a good GTI-6 (crf450) BITD at Croft on the main straight out of the hairpin.

g

Rallyace

The camshaft is a Cat Cams 4900366.

We did a rally at the weekend and I'm really happy. The difference was amazing and we were setting some great times, even beating the Bogey Time on a number of tests. We did have a couple of problems. The gear linkage locked up on the third test. I couldn't select any gears for a while. Eventually I managed to get third and struggled out of the test. On the next road section, I found that I could get all of the gears, but had lost the precision between changes. Selecting fifth when you want third cost you a few seconds. Not being able to go down the box at the end of a flat in fourth straight into 90 right on gravel - not fun. 

We eventually retired after test 14. The coolant bleed valve that is a press fit into the cylinder head popped out and we lost the coolant. Any thoughts on the best way to repair? It tapped back into place and held pressure back to rally HQ. Is it a case of putting it back with an appropriate Loctite?IMG_3283 (1).HEIC

welshpug

pretty respectable figures, was the cam dialled in ?   peak rpm seems a little low, the standard cam makes power peaking at 6-6200 roughly.

on throttle bodies with a NNewman PH4 cam which appears to be a little more aggressive (but not buy a huge amount)    DCC had 176 bhp from his 8v, that one went well past 7k.

if the hose spigot isn't rotten then Id try some bearing fit type loctite.

Edited by welshpug

petert

Indeed, what lobe centre angle or lift @ TDC figure did you install the cam at?

Rallyace

Hi PeterT 

I timed it at 110 degrees and it wasn’t changed during rolling road. When I discussed what I wanted with the rolling road operator, I said that I would take torque over bhp. The type of rallying that I do involves a lot of stop/start and pulling away from low speed corners. 

• Like 1

309jazzpanda

What event did you do?. I really want to get mine out on some targas this year, it hasn't done one since 2018 Knutsford event. I wanted to do Twyford wood but that got cancelled.

Rallyace

I was entered for Twyford as well. They'll hopefully get another venue, or an alternative date and run it later in the year. The event that I did was the Rally of East Yorkshire.