• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James85

Running issue

James85

trying to diagnose a little running issue on my 1.6 gti, hard to describe but basically when I ease of the accelerator to slow down  then tap it again the car jerks and starts “kangarooing , only seems to happen upto 30mph or maybe that’s only when it’s noticeable, doesn’t happen all the timealso which is odd , happens when the cars cold and warm, could it be over or under fuelling ?

PhilNW

Throttle position sensor set correct?

welshpug

why would you tap the accelerator?!

• Like 1

pug_ham

Isn't this considered fairly normal on the 205 GTI due to the basic ecu fuel cut off?

Is your throttle cable tight?  Worst I've experienced was on my mum's old 309 SRi (same engine, box ecu etc) which was due to the amount of slack in the throttle cable, once adjusted correctly, things improved massively.

With everything set up the best it can be, you can still make the car kangaroo at low engine / road speeds, they are renowned for it from new.

g.

James85

Cheers guys, I had set the cable, will double check everything tho, didn’t mean tap it but if I eased off on the accelerator then pressed it again to maintain speed, my explanation wasn’t the best in the post.

Nobbly

As others have said, this is pretty normal.  Throttle cable is the go-to fix but basically you need to drive like a 1990's boy racer and blip the throttle/slip the clutch when in town.  Trying to drive it like a Rolls-Royce just doesn't work ;)

Bwaaap, bwaaaaaaaaapp  :D

James85

Haha, cheers , I’ll go back to the throttle cable and just make sure it’s all set up right, but got a whole new issue to deal with now , seems to be never ending 

Wurzel

Have you tried another MAF (Air Flow) sensor or at the least clean the one you have?

I had the same a little while ago.  Jerky as hell under low throttle but then picked up under a heavy foot.

(Feel free to slate me here, it's been 20 odd years since my last tech post).

Edited by Wurzel