• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mannings

Internal wiring advice on fault finding

mannings

Apologies in advance I have looked over the Haynes Manual wiring diagrams but wiring just isn't my thing and don't know what to check next. 

Went to get the stereo plumbed into my 87 phase 1.5 and don't seem to have a switched live to it. I have a constant live of 1v but that's it. What confuses me is the clock lights up and cigarette lighter work. But there is no continuity between the fuse location f7 and the switched or constant live to the stereo plug. 

Any advice on what to check would be useful. I've got a multi meter but if any advice could be pretty simple it would be appreciated.

Central locking, interior Light, boot light and glove box light all not working even though Haynes says they are on the same fuse f7. 

Also driving lamp relay is missing from the fuse board. Don't know why but could this have an effect somehow? 

welshpug

fuse 7 and 9 are fed from the main live in connector 706, pull the fuses out and check continuity from Pin1  of socket 706.

fuse 3 is the switched live which is fed from the ignition switch,  circuit on that goes IN the fuseboard at 706, OUT to ignition switch on connector MA, back IN on BA pin1, through the fuse and out on U pin 1.

there is a diagram in the electrical section of the socket locations and code, these also have coloured dots which match the connector colour

mannings

So spent a morning with the multimeter making progress but not found issue yet. 

706 pin to fuse 7 and 9 is fine..

Found that my clock has a perm and switched live, so been using the switch live from clock to then sense check what im doing to try and work out stereo lack of switched live. Also confirmed switched live is working from ignition barrel to fuse board otherwise clock wouldn't get a switch live.

So from socket U pin 1 I have a switched live at 12v to clock and continuity, but not stereo switched live or continuity on wire 29B light blue wire and I think there should be.  

Do I need to trace back wire 29B back through to the fuse board to see why the fuse board gets a switched live but doesnt? Or is there something else I can try? Thanks for the help here. 

Edited by mannings

welshpug

from what I can see the clock gets permanent live from fuse 7 on socket J, the switched feed you get at the clock is different to the switched you find at the stereo, the clock switched feed is the dimmable interior lighting circuit, might be a red herring there!

mannings

Would the driving light relay not being fitted affect the stereo switched live at all? As it's missing. 

Also can you confirm what else is on the same switched live as the stereo to see if testing other parts of the circuit would show up anything?