• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PhilNW

Fitting front wheel bearings

welshpug

I wouldn't want to modify the drive flange, especially given you have only just fitted new wheel bearings, the CV would be much easier to correct especially if you have the Lobro joint that has the correct profile to replicate.

The position of the clip groove looks very odd.

Edited by welshpug

petert

I'm upgrading to Satchell shafts. They use the later 34 spline 306 CV's. Worth the money, in my opinion, for a car now worth so much.

PhilNW
On 5/11/2023 at 10:37 PM, welshpug said:

I wouldn't want to modify the drive flange, especially given you have only just fitted new wheel bearings, the CV would be much easier to correct especially if you have the Lobro joint that has the correct profile to replicate.

The position of the clip groove looks very odd.

Bit of an update.

Had 2 RH SKF driveshafts machined to GKN/Lobro profile and problem sorted.

As far I have been able to make out, 1.9 RH SKF shafts are "aftermarket" design and do not conform to OEM which it why the clip groove looks odd. You have to buy a complete new shaft as they dont do a replacement CV joint for it.

The CV joints they produce seem to be OEM equivalent.

NAPA RH 1.9 driveshafts are similar to SKF.

Edited by PhilNW

jannickz

If the front geometry has changed, it could be due to the installation of new wheel bearings or other components. It's important to ensure that these components are installed correctly and within the manufacturer's specifications to maintain the correct geometry.

jannickz

It's definitely puzzling why your front camber became more negative after replacing the wheel bearings and discs. Here are some possible explanations you can consider:

Misaligned hubs: Even though pressing in the hubs seemed okay, there could be a slight misalignment causing the camber to change. Double-check that the hubs are perfectly seated in the upright and the bearing preload is within spec.

Worn suspension components: While you focused on the bearings, other worn suspension components like bushings, ball joints, or control arms could have contributed to the change in camber. Check for any play or looseness in these parts.

Incorrect bearing installation: While unlikely, if the bearings weren't pressed in perfectly straight or if the circlips aren't seated correctly, it could affect the hub's orientation and change the camber.

Mismatched parts: Though less probable, ensure you used the correct bearing set and discs for your specific car model. Mixing compatible but slightly different parts might lead to minor geometry changes.

Measurement error: The change in camber could be due to an error while measuring the geometry. Confirm the accuracy of your equipment and repeat the measurement if necessary.

Previous misalignment: It's possible the previous garage alignment wasn't perfect, and replacing the bearings simply revealed the pre-existing issue, you can check more at https://www.tradebearings.com.

Here are some things you can do next:

Recheck your installation: Make sure everything is pressed in correctly, torqued to spec, and there's no play in any components.

Consult a professional: If you're not confident in your diagnosis, take the car to a reputable mechanic or alignment shop for a thorough inspection and diagnosis.

Compare camber values: Check the manufacturer's specifications for the desired camber angle and compare it to your measurements.

Consider adjusting camber: If everything is installed correctly and the change in camber bothers you, adjust the top mounts to bring the camber within spec.

Remember, safety is paramount. If you have any doubts about your ability to diagnose or fix the problem yourself, don't hesitate to seek professional help.

I hope this information helps you troubleshoot the issue and get your car's handling back to normal!