• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Nithy

1998 205 CTI Wheel Alignment

Nithy

Hi Guys

I got my wheel alignment done yesterday (I am rebuilding / restoring) a 205 CTI.

My rear wheels 

Camber Readings 

Left Rear -.38 degrees

Right Rear 1.17 degrees

Tow Readings

LEft Rear -1.8mm

Right Rear 6.7mm

I was told these readings are pretty bad, But I cannot see a way to change these as the axel is fixed. 

Any advise?

Thanks

Nithy

pug_ham

What is the condition of the rear beam?

Sounds to me like the bearings have failed which will cause the readings to differ, although a failed beam is usually very noticeable when stood behind the car a little, the wheels will be visibly cambered in.

g

Nithy

Thnks Graham,

Not sure what you mean by the beam, the entire back setup came from a donar car which was basically done only 50,000miles but was put in a barn and stayed there for decayed over the years. So if u are refereing to the whole backend setup its practically brandnew. 

yeah the wheel bearings could be changed, they are the same from the existing drum, but there is absolutly no play in it. At all

cheers

nk

welshpug

The rear suspension assembly is an independent trailing arm beam, runs on roller bearings pressed into a crossmember tube, notorious for wear when neglected leading to typically excess camber, can also seize up solid

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton
14 hours ago, Nithy said:

Not sure what you mean by the beam, the entire back setup came from a donar car which was basically done only 50,000miles but was put in a barn and stayed there for decayed over the years. So if u are refereing to the whole backend setup its practically brandnew. 

Your alignment readings absolutely prove its anything but brand new sorry to say.

Leslie green

The toe on the right is a lot , most likely the bearings in the tube have failed which is very likely as the grease dries out and water gets in no matter what the miles , on mine the bearing cage had disintegrated and it was only a matter of time till it failed as the bearings were dry and the shafts dimpled as the bearings couldn't rotate anymore.

Nithy

Hm, not ideal situation to be in.

so whats the best advise? should I try to refurbrish it with a repair kit? or buy a new one. I live in New zealand, so no new parts here its all has to come from UK or Europe.

Anyone know where I get a new replacement or get the kit from for a 1988 205 CTI, 1.6 115HP car?

Thanks

nithy

boldy205

There was a Polish company (I think) selling rebuild kits with new trailing arm tubes and decent quality bearings. This may be enough, but the big one is the main tube. If this is knackered then it's scrap.

Only way to tell is open it up. Have a look at the guide on this forum to help you through it

welshpug
On 4/5/2023 at 8:44 PM, Nithy said:

Hm, not ideal situation to be in.

so whats the best advise? should I try to refurbrish it with a repair kit? or buy a new one. I live in New zealand, so no new parts here its all has to come from UK or Europe.

Anyone know where I get a new replacement or get the kit from for a 1988 205 CTI, 1.6 115HP car?

Thanks

nithy

depends how confident you are with taking the axle apart, and if you have a press or know a good machine shop or garage with a press.

there are a few articles and threads on the forum covering the rear beam assembly, personally I would not buy another "new" unit as they are of unknown quality, and will be highly unlikely to match the spec of your original torsion bars.

these kits from France have oem brand bearings, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273650859188

helpfully they list the oem numbers on there also 513145 - 513249 - 515408 - 515409 - 515410

Edited by welshpug