• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Connor

GT running rich after carb rebuild

Connor

Hi all,

I've just refitted the carb to my GT after rebuilding it only to find its now running extremely rich...even with the idle screw all the way in. I have double checked the float level but not sure what else to check at this stage? Idle screw seems to not even be connecting with the primary throttle shaft and yet its still sitting around 1500rpm idle. Nothing else on the car was changed and it previously ran without issue.

Any pointers are much appreciated!

Cheers!

boldy205

Are you sure it's rich? The fast idle could be an air leak. Faulty gasket upon installation maybe? Have you looked for air leakage?

Connor
11 hours ago, boldy205 said:

Are you sure it's rich? The fast idle could be an air leak. Faulty gasket upon installation maybe? Have you looked for air leakage?

Yeah I think realistically there is an air leak given the fast idle, though I'm not sure I understand how that could relate to the richness? There is literally black soot coming out of the exhaust and the plugs foul very quickly with soot. The float not being right? Not closing the fuel needle valve (this I did change for one that came in the service kit).

boldy205

Could be various things after you have had the carb apart I guess. Might be worth going back through it all again, for the cost of a gasket set?