• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

swinisskill

Mi16 Causing Grief After Sitting For 6 Months

swinisskill

Hi guys, would appreciate some advice on my 205 mi16 (Motronic management). I bought it over a year ago and it was running fine. It has been pretty much parked up since the MOT expired in September last year but I've come back round to getting it back on the road and now I'm having some issues with not starting/rough idle/cutting out.

First time I got it going yesterday< having serviced it, it took a bit of turning over but I guess that is expected. It was then rough on idle and cutting out but if you kept the revs on a bit, it eventually ironed out but sitting at 1200 RPM. Took it for a quick spin on the estate and it died on me. Got it going again but it kept cutting out. Parked it back up on the drive and started trawling the forums to see what it could be.

Things I have checked;

ICV (Cleaned out, checked resistance across pins - 8 ohm and also fed it 12v to make sure it opens, it does!) Unplugging it whilst running makes the idle worse.

AFM - (Checked the flap opens ok, metered across the pins looks ok). Unplugging it whilst running makes the idle worse and then it cuts out.

TB - (Had it off and checked it is open/closing correctly)

After I put it all back together I gave it another try and it was still running rough but it was also revving itself (like I was blipping the pedal). So I gave it some revs myself and eventually it settled down. I took it for a spin and it was absolutely spot on (As I remember it). I came back to it later in the afternoon after it had cooled down and the rough idle was back. It was also cutting out. I wiggled the connector on the AFM and it seemed to change the idle and then it cut out again (Not sure if this was just coincidental). Tried to restart it but it wouldn't fire up. Then I tried again and it backfired. I've come back inside to do more research, as I don't want to do any damage to the engine.

Is anything standing out to anyone that they think I need to check?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

swinisskill
34 minutes ago, Telf said:

old fuel?

Hi Telf, It’s got just over half a tank of fresh 99 RON unleaded in it

Ryan

Check the throttle position switch. The ECU will only try to control the idle speed if the idle switch is working properly.

swinisskill

So it was the junior power timer connector going to the AFM that was causing my issue.

I’ve replaced the connector with a brand new one and now it’s starting up fine. She is still idling high though @ 1500RPM (when warm) so I’ve still got a bit of investigation work to do!

1CA61DE9-AB89-450C-A16C-E10DA16D5EE0.jpeg

Gaz D

God look how much better that new one looks! 

• Like 1

swinisskill

So I went back out to it this morning to check out the high idle and I’ve now got an issue with it not starting!

Did some investigating and got round to the two relays behind the drivers side headlight - I unplugged them and swapped them over and now it starts fine and also idles rock solid at 1200 RPM!

Guess I’d may as well buy 2 new ones just to be safe!