• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest seb

Holding Mi16 Bonnet Down

Guest seb

The mi16 I bought today has no way of fastening the bonnet. I've been shown one way of doing it (fitting bonnet pins) which looks easy enough. Any alternatives though, I'd rather keep the exterior original if I can.

cheers

Snowman

Has the slam panel been removed? How about fitting a new one?

Guest seb

No it's still there but the bonnet "plunger" bit hits on the inlet manifold under the slam panel. I think it's the manifold anyway, let me go check :rolleyes:

Looking at other mi16 photos and talking to owners it's starting to worry me that I have this problem - no one else seems to :S

Edited by seb

Guest seb

Whoops, not the manifold at all, hits on the top of the radiator.

Edited by seb

Guest puggti

So the bonnet doesnt shut?

Shouldnt the radiator have different mounts made up for it?

Hang on im lost myself, did you crash it? :rolleyes:

Ross

Guest seb

No, just bought it today, jonnie205 off of here did the conversion; luckily he hadn't holed my bonnet yet so I can move the rad instead of turning it into some max-power creation (which imho is what bonnet pins look like) :rolleyes:

nick

At last, someone with the same problem as me :rolleyes:

Mine hits the rad' because it's been pranged on the front and badly repaired, the front panel sits at a funny angle which holds the rad' too high.

I'm going the bonnet pin route :P

Nick

Anthony

I don't think it's been crashed - it's something odd with the way that Jonnie does the Mi16 conversions. I assume that you're meant to do something additional to the radiator that Jonnie doesn't do, hence it sits up a smidgen too high.

While you were up there Seb, you probably saw a White Mi16 205 - that's the one that I'm buying off Jonnie, and that's got *exactly* the same problem with the bonnet pin hitting the radiator, hence he's put bonnet pins on it.

I didn't look that closely at the Blue Mi16 that you've bought (but it did look straight and couldn't see any evidence of accident damage), but the White one definately hasn't been crashed and is one of the straightest 205's I've ever seen.

I was either going to shave a little off the "plunger" or drop the radiator down a few millimeters to sort it out on my one when I pick it up next week.

Edited by Anthony

nick

On mine it's the secondary catch that hits the rad, the sprung plunger is fine.

Nick

Guest jonnie205

it maybe not hitting the rad its just could be a problem with the plunger i just did not have time to investiagte the problem. The car is totally straight and has not been stacked, all my mates with mi's have same issue

vanny

does the 205 Rad sit in little rubber bushes at the bottom?

Would it be possible to 'shave' a little rubber off, drop the rad down a smidge?

I dont have the rubber bungs at all on the 'tank' but its bolted into the frame so doesnt move at the bottom!

base-1

bonnet pins, max power?!?!!?! :P :P

BLASPHEMER!!!!!! :rolleyes::D

pugboyracer

Bonnet pins are cool man!

Guest seb
Bonnet pins are cool man!

Sorry, it's not so much that I think they look s*it, but I want to keep this car looking standard, I think.

bedders

check that its not the slam panel bending when you try to close it (so it cant lock in) rather than it hitting the rad

jackherer

I've never had this problem with any 205 I've put an Mi into.

nick

I had a look at C_W's at donnington(who has a tilted rad) and his is also fine.

Mine is definately because it has been pranged in a previous life, as I said before the front panel has been v/badly fitted.

Mine sits above the wings by about 5mm, it doesn't sound much but you notice it straight away.

On the subject of bonnet pins, I went to Motor world to get some. When I asked if they had some bonnet pins there was blank looks all round :P then one off them said "oh I know what you mean" and bought some self adhesive ones out(they just stick on the bonnet :rolleyes: )WTF......

Nick

Guest jonnie205

it may not be hitting the rad it just wants looking at and sorting, it closed fine when it was a 1.6

les3002

i had this prob aswell it was a combination of the secondary catch hitting the rad and the slam panel flexing without the rad cowling to strenthen it you can adjust the plunger down a bit helped mine

but jumping on it with you arse was my preffered way :rolleyes:

sleeper205

slam panel can't flex: it's bent on all sides, so you'd have to tear a sidewall to get it to bend.

Guest flat-eric

I'm staying out of this one, that bloody magazine's popped up again! go on! someone say it "twin fans"

bedders
slam panel can't flex: it's bent on all sides, so you'd have to tear a sidewall to get it to bend.

mine bends, and its not torn... but maybe im wrong, i cant be sure

but i do have to put something under the slam panel to stop it moving down so the bonnet will shut on my 205 Mi

madaxgt

It doesnt hit the rad as i know the way 'jonnie' does his conversions it must just be a duff plunger thingie. The way he does and the way i did mine is to tilt the rad forward to stop the manifold hitting it, the rad is on its orginal mountings on the bottom.

Bonnet pins aint 'max power' theyre 'motorsport' which is much better, i think they look hard.

Ive been in that white 205 of jons its not bad; handling and brakes are the best bit its the best conversion/205 hes done in my opinion.

p.s. what tyres are you buying it with?

Edited by madaxgt

Guest seb
Bonnet pins aint 'max power' theyre 'motorsport' which is much better, i think they look hard.

Ive been in that white 205 of jons its not bad; handling and brakes are the best bit its the best conversion/205 hes done in my opinion.

p.s. what tyres are you buying it with?

Yes, I agree with you there actually, but "motorsport" isn't the right look when you're worried enough about the local scrotes vandalising your car :P

Forgotton what tyres mine has already - Vredesteins on the back I think, some tread pattern I didn't recognise and can't ID off of their website - sprint+ maybe? And goodyear F1s on the front, I think? Will check when I get home :rolleyes:

Guest Pugmasterful

Who cares what bonnet pins look like, it's better than the bonnet smashing your windscreen at speed.

Sign in to follow this