• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Derek 205 Rallye

Fuel Banjo T piece mod on Rallye?

Derek 205 Rallye

Hi all

Just got tbe parts back from Zinc playing this evening and noticed something very odd that I'd not noticed before...

The two banjo bolt T- pieces on the back of the carbs, one is totally blanked off. Now I didn't pay attention to which side it came off as I never expected them to be anything but normal T-pieces, but obviously it must have been on the return side, where it goes back to the tank.

I know on other twin carb setups you have a t-piece on the first carb and a 90° banjo fitting on the second carb, but the Rallye has a return line to the tank after the second carb... I've looked at a lot of other photos of other Rallyes and they also have the same setup with a return line after the second carb. If it's blanked off then obviously this return line does nothing...

Is this correct or is it some amateur mod that might be contributing to the car running so rich at idle? I.e. excessive fuel pressure?

Cheers

20230126_183932.jpg

welshpug

Have you given it a good prod incase its just a  blob of zinc?

Were the fuel hoses played with?

Derek 205 Rallye

Yeah it's definitely been intentionally plugged, it's not zinc. It's a solid slug of something to plug it up, and it's totally airtight.

The fuel hoses are all original routing as far as I can see, in from the tank via an in-line filter, into and out of the mechanical fuel pump and into the first t-piece. (Edited to add, which rather makes me wonder why on earth they didn't just remove the return line and fit a single 90° banjo to the secknd carb...)>

Could this cause excess rich running at idle? E.g. excessive fuel pressure flooding the float bowl?

Edited by Derek 205 Rallye