• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DrBrule

1.6 GTI Air Intake - return to OEM?

DrBrule

Hi. I've just bought a 1.6 GTI and at some point during a recent restoration a K&N Induction system has been fitted. Being one for originality I'd like to fit the OEM air intake system. Are these available as complete sets/kits?
I'm not familiar with GTI's - the only 205 I owned was a gunmetal grey XS back in 1995. That was such a good car.
Any guidance very much appreciated. Photos show what the engine bay looks like now - I guess a lot is needed to return to stock.
Do the Induction kits make any difference?

Screenshot 2023-01-19 at 16.11.04.png

Anthony
23 minutes ago, DrBrule said:

Hi. I've just bought a 1.6 GTI and at some point during a recent restoration a K&N Induction system has been fitted. Being one for originality I'd like to fit the OEM air intake system. Are these available as complete sets/kits?
I'm not familiar with GTI's - the only 205 I owned was a gunmetal grey XS back in 1995. That was such a good car.
Any guidance very much appreciated. Photos show what the engine bay looks like now - I guess a lot is needed to return to stock.
Do the Induction kits make any difference?

I'm not sure that anyone sells complete sets new, although I have seen complete sets sold with a mixture of new and refurbished used parts.  Last time I looked, you could get the three hoses, snorkle, airbox and the airbox bracket new, but I don't think anyone has yet remanufactured the AFM bracketry - if you can find used parts, they're usually in reasonable condition though and could be blasted and painted/coated, otherwise they're not massively visible and could be used as-is if you're not fussed about everything looking as-new.

Image I've stolen from Retro Lion shows the various parts that make up the OE induction system:

2853b9993129b0b68058894c7f5031cfd1ce0c53

Airbox and bracket at the top

AFM bracketry on the left and bottom left

Hoses centre and right

Snorkle bottom centre

Induction kits won't make any additional power - indeed, one school of thought is that they make a touch less power as they typically don't have a proper cold air feed like the OE setup does.  Biggest benefit IMO is that it de-clutters the engine bay significantly and makes it quicker/easier to work on various parts.

pug_ham

Alan has a couple of the hoses you need to return it to the standard air inlet system Here

• 8v air inlet elbow (with breather takeoffs) - £5 There are 2 of these.
  • 8v long air inlet from slam panel to air box - £5

g