• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Derek 205 Rallye

Disconnected sensor on Peugeot 205 rallye TU24

welshpug

that is very odd, I've never had issues with NGK, there is a lot of counterfeit stuff around though, recently had a Bosch "rermanufactured" starter for my Peugeot Boxer,  that has totally worn out melted brushes, worse condition inside than an used 10 year old starter!  

DamirGTI

Yeah , same here using mostly NGK plugs for +25 years !

On PSA XU/EW engines never had issues with NGK's but this TU24 simply didn't like them for some odd reason ?! counterfeit item , possibly but we bought them at an big local parts seller/importer (not on ebay or the likes) , but yes you never know ..

Though i had this the same scenario happened years before on some other car brand makes/models , and outboard engines as well , seems like certain engines or engine management (likely both in combination) have specific preference with regards to the spark plugs . 

Aftermarket parts as of recent years tend to be all over the place at times ! with regards to who makes what , who deal with who , quality control and all the rest odd stuff . 

D

Derek 205 Rallye

Just got back from holidays and the car is finally on Portuguese numberplates and should be insured by tomorrow, so I can start road testing it rather than just trying to diagnose at idle. The guy who sorted the car for the initial import inspection had put new plugs in it and they weren't the Eyquem items (he fitted NGK), so I've ordered a set of the OEM Eyquem plugs. The ones in the car when I bought it were also triple electrode plugs, but Bosch. Also looking for an original plug lead set too, to eliminate all the possibles. It needs a thorough road test to clear it out first anyway and get it properly up to temperature.

Is the tank level sender a common issue on these? It's bouncing up and down a bit, just after putting 40 litres of fuel in it, Possible a poor contact on the sender unit plug, there were a few on the car like that such as the horn contact and one of the lights, fixed by a wire brush and a blast of WD40, which I guess is to be expected with wiring of this age.

Derek 205 Rallye

Ok so a bit of an update on this topic.

The car is finally fully imported and insured on Portuguese plates! Hurrah! Now I can drive it unimpeded I can do some proper troubleshooting. So findings so far;

It starts very easily with a bit of choke. Warms up quickly to 85-90c and stays there, no matter whatever ambient temp or how hard it gets driven.

On partial throttle however, and below around 3000rpm, it misses and is clearly running very rich. Above 3-3500rpm on wide open throttle, it accelerates cleanly all the way to the red line. No idea how quick it should be given the age and engine size, but it certainly doesn’t feel particularly slow. No visible smoke from the exhaust, but a lot of unburnt fuel in and around the tailpipe and it smells very rich. Plugs are also all showing signs of running rich. It also doesn’t like idling, the idle was set to around 1400rpm, I’ve wound it back to around 900-1000 and it usually stays alive but sometimes cuts.

I’ve changed the ignition module and all HT leads, fitted the correct EYQUEM plugs. None of that has really made any difference, and it is using a lot of fuel…

Given that it runs well at high RPM and full throttle, does this all suggest carburettors are the next thing to aim for? I did a rebuild with new gaskets and o-rings, but don’t have an ultrasonic cleaner. Could it be something like blocked progression holes? Any suggestions? Jets are all standard size as far as I know, from what I read on them when I disassembled it.

Thanks.

Edited by Derek 205 Rallye

DamirGTI

Kinda same issues we had with our Rallye when initially bought it .

Complete carb. cleaning , gaskets/diaphragms rep. , adjusting , sync , and re-jetting fixed it for good .

D