• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fumanchu

XU9J4 200hp+ target

Fumanchu

My target for the 1.9 Mi16 engine fitted in my 205, is 200hp+.  

Working on the assumption that the claimed engine spec is legit (Longmans Head, 3 Angle Valves and Piper 180 Cams, 4-2-1 manifold and Magnex exhaust), i'm looking to put on a set of ITB's with a aftermarket ECU and possibly changing the cams.

Hence, I have a few questions: 

1. I cant find any data on Piper 180 cams - does anyone have any? If was to replace them, what's the recommendation for fast road/moderate track work?

2. ITB Kits - Are they all very similar, e.g Jenvey based? I was looking at the kit from Satchell Engineering but can only find a XU10 kit. I've been offered a 2nd hand Satchell kit but that uses bike carbs instead of the DCOE pattern carbs. 

3. Any  ECU recommendations - DTA, Emerald, Omex or other?

boldy205

XU10 and 9 manifolds are the same. I'd stay away from bike carbs, put ITBs on it. You will always be chasing problems/have compramises with a bike carb set up. 

Not totally sure on management, I've got ECU masters, but still waiting for it to come back from the mappers, so i won't comment on something I don't know about.

Great post by the way, I've got an Mi in the garage that I may well be looking at a similar power figure with 

Cheers

petert

If the inside of your engine is as bad as your cam cover, you may be up for more expenses. I wouldn't make any decisions on internals until you get it open. One thing you do need to make decent hp is compression. Keep an open mind on how you might improve that.

1. If track work, convert to solid lifters. My favourite at the moment is Catcams 4901551. You'll need 11:1 CR however.

2. Satchell inlet is the best, along with 48mm TB's

3. Emtron

Tom Fenton

As you are Doncaster based, then you may choose to use John Sleath near Conisbrough to set it up, if so you’d be well advised to speak to John about the ECU’s he likes to deal with. I believe he is or certainly was an Emerald dealer so that is probably a safe choice. I’ve had 205’s with Emerald and DTA ECU’s set up by John.

jord294

Was led to believe that to get 200bhp plus from xu9j4, it'll need more than head work modification.

Lightened and balanced bottom end at least 

allanallen
10 hours ago, jord294 said:

Was led to believe that to get 200bhp plus from xu9j4, it'll need more than head work modification.

Lightened and balanced bottom end at least 

Bodies, cams and a manifold on a healthy engine will easily see 200bhp. 

standard engines on bodies alone normally make 180bhp.