• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

UpNorth24

1.9 GTI with rear drum brakes

UpNorth24

Hi,

I appear to have a genuine 1.9 (was a 1.9 from new) but which now has rear drum brakes. The only conclusion I can think of is an incorrect axle swap at some point. Are there any other possibilities here? Is there a way I can confirm what axle I’ve got?!

Going forward I want to sort this to make it correct 1.9 stuff and at the same time refurb the rear axle. What would be the best route?

boldy205

Pretty sure the beam and arms are the same between 1.6 and 1.9.

You will need 1.9 stub axles, caliper carriers and brakes to convert. 1,9s came with two compensation valves at the rear of each sill, this may be a tell tale sign.

Hope that helps.

petert

All the DFZ 1.9 GTi had drum brakes.

UpNorth24
25 minutes ago, petert said:

All the DFZ 1.9 GTi had drum brakes.

Really? I thought all 1.9’s had disc brakes at the rear. Are we saying what I have is all original then? It’s a 1989 car.

Edited by UpNorth24

petert

Check engine code. 
DFZ - drums & smaller 1.6 driveshafts, no R clip, staked nut

D6B and DKZ - discs, larger driveshafts with R clip on nut

welshpug

Dfz only came in Auto gti's here, and the CTi.

UpNorth24

My engine number is 1CW3U…

so I believe that indicates a D6B engine

welshpug

Should have engine code next to the number shouldn't  it?

Does it have a single brake line running to the back and a large cylinder inline on the chassis leg just behind the battery tray?

UpNorth24
25 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Should have engine code next to the number shouldn't  it?

Does it have a single brake line running to the back and a large cylinder inline on the chassis leg just behind the battery tray?

Definitely a D6B engine, pic attached.

Pic of the whole engine bay attached, does that help?

CE1409B6-0A66-48C4-9E06-F064D48FB488.jpeg

5968CF0A-BF8C-46F3-B81B-80F9D4ADD26F.jpeg

jord294

Is there a compensator under the coil which a single line connects to and heads to rear end?

Single line usually indicates axle with drums

UpNorth24
1 hour ago, jord294 said:

Is there a compensator under the coil which a single line connects to and heads to rear end?

Single line usually indicates axle with drums

Found a picture online of what you’re describing and can’t see anything remotely like it around the coil area.

0E2CB31A-A428-43F0-9ECB-2CD4020C70ED.jpeg

DamirGTI

Check it by chassis number :

http://www.dethomaso.fr/article-identifier-sa-205gti-114027761.html

.. from what i can see by zooming in , you have D6 in a row of numbers/letters which makes it an 1.9 car/chassis with a 1.9 D6B engine (as it should be made new from the factory) .

Obviously a lot could've been done to it during the years making it "non standard" in all aspects , like : "why would someone fit drum brakes instead disc on it" - maybe someone wanted better handbrake grip for spinning it round for some fun time (indeed handbrake is better on drums) , or the OE disc beam might've gone bust so someone had and fitted known good replacement drum beam instead .

As said , if there's also 1.6 style rear compensator retrofitted it'll be roughly below the coil attached down on the chassis leg at an angle .. follow the brake line to the rear end and see if it's there or not .

D

petert
15 hours ago, welshpug said:

This is the clue. One line running from mcyliner to rear = drums, two lines = discs.

Tom Fenton

How many brake pipes come out of the master cylinder? I can see 3 in your photo. Is there a 4th back left as you look at it?

Further to that, you need to then lay on the floor and follow the pipes under the car, if there are 2 pipes going to the rear, with a cylinder compensator both sides near the fuel tank, then it has all its 1.9 brake lines still.

It isn’t out of the way to convert it back to discs, but don’t get too hung up on it. In road driving you probably won’t notice the difference, and the drum brake handbrake is much better than the disc one ever is.

UpNorth24
16 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

How many brake pipes come out of the master cylinder? I can see 3 in your photo. Is there a 4th back left as you look at it?

Further to that, you need to then lay on the floor and follow the pipes under the car, if there are 2 pipes going to the rear, with a cylinder compensator both sides near the fuel tank, then it has all its 1.9 brake lines still.

It isn’t out of the way to convert it back to discs, but don’t get too hung up on it. In road driving you probably won’t notice the difference, and the drum brake handbrake is much better than the disc one ever is.

Yep 4 brake pipes coming out of the master cylinder, and I can see two running the length of the car to the back.

So looks like it’s had a swap at some point! Good to understand anyway, thanks all.

Leslie green

Things were swapped out when these cars were cheap to keep them on the road and the axle bearings had probably failed so a better but non original  axle was sourced