• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Arthur

Rear brake combo with 266 front

wicked

Ball park numbers are slightly higher; moderate braking is 30-40 bars or so and hard braking around 70 bars? The rear limiters of 1.9 gti reduce to 20 bars ball park IIRC.. 

Arthur

Hi All

Coming back to this topic after a while. 266's fitted now on front with standard pads. Almost now change in brake balance. Just maybe 15% or so less power needed to lock the front now. 

I have a spare beam apart now. Comparing 205 arm with 306 (non gti) arms does indeed seem to confirm the arm itself has 9mm-ish more track and more camber/toe. It's almost impossible to measure and see tough. Might as well not be 9mm or nothing at all. I really wonder where the info of 9/18 mm more width on 306 arms come from. Did anyone ever really measure it? Stub axle is 126mm for the 205 and 137mm for the 306 as expected. 

The standard beam I have torn apart had 30mm drum on it. I'm not sure what's on the car now. I hope 40mm. But now I see on the net, the 40mm drum is 79,5 mm total, and the 30 mm drum is 70,5. Also a difference of 9mm. Coincidence? So does the drum also effect trackwidth and might the 9mm difference from the 306 come from the drum rather then the arm? I can measure the 30mm drum for the missing detail and that is 59,5 high just like the 68,5 in the 40mm. 

I have both bare arms on the shelf now so I can measure them better. Not sure how to do this though. 

image.png.d408f35e14a43621bfa4e05bc369f2b2.pngimage.png.a03c3efe037da248a53d86204c0ce6f1.png

Edited by Arthur

welshpug

the greater offset on a 306 arm comes from the longer stub pin and the bearing spaced out further, the disc is taller and therefore sits in the same place, same caliper style, caliper bracket is only different as it has an ABS sensor drilling.

Arthur

Oké, but do 180 x 40 drums have 18mm more track then 180 x 30 on the same beam as well? 

Arthur

Well. I have decided to order 306 drums. Interesting to see 205 1.6 drums do actually increase track with 18 mm compared to standard drums.

These 306 drum have an even deeper dish though. This means the 306 also has 11mm more drum-ET so to say. The bearing will have more load for that (assuming 306 has the same ET on the wheels) and the 306 is also heavier. No wonder most 20mm wheel spacers do not really seem to cause bearing problems. 

I will make 12mm plates to go under these drums and use the 137mm 306 stub axles with 306 drums. This will increase track with 22.5mm (45mm total) to what I have now so my C5 wheel will actually be a lot closer fit to the arches I have now.  In theory these 306 drums fit the 205 anchor plate without any problem. Downside I will have the 30mm shoe still. I guess that's not an issue since I'm happy with the 30mm I have now in combination with the 266 up front.

image.png.a855e6d7d10a9078cb7650a309f1fbb3.png

Edited by Arthur