• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
homr

XU5 crankshaft position sensor

homr

Hello all,

Can anyone help me with the location of the crankshaft position sensor on the XU5 engine?

I have a situation with engine cranking but no spark. I’ve checked the double relay and all seems fine, power seems to be getting to the ignition coil but haven’t checked the CAS as I’m struggling to find it. 

The car was absolutely fine then one morning wouldn’t start, and investigation revealed the no spark. 

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Cheers
John

petert

Which XU5? Maybe it doesn't have one and just uses the reluctor pickup in the dizzy? To my knowledge, only the XU5M has a crank position sensor.

homr

Interesting, thank you. 

Its an XU5JP. The ignition coil looks like the attached, (I will get a proper photo of the actual engine arrangement), would the reluctor be in the ‘lump’ which the ignition coil is bolted to?

Cheers 

9027FD75-CE72-4412-8620-090B075D6F74.png

petert

That one would have a crank sensor. On the bell housing, below the thermostat housing?

homr

Ok thank you, I’ll take a more detailed look. 

Once I find it, to test it’s working am I looking for a voltage or resistance fluctuation across it when cranking the engine? 

Regarding the ignition coil, I’m definitely getting 12V on the connection coming from the double relay. Is the coil then controlled by the ECU changing which of the two connections is held at low voltage  to alternate the spark between the two sides of the ignition coil?  

Cheers 

welshpug

The ecu pulls the signal to earth to create  a spark, one trigger wire per pair of outputs, If I recall its an IAW 8P13 ecu without an ignition  amplifier

homr

I've managed to get hold of the attached wiring diagram. Pins 1 and 19 should be at 0V when cranking? I'm getting some very small voltage fluctuations but the pins are close to 0V.

I might take off the coil to see if I can test it, presumably I should measure some sort of resistance between pins 1 and 2 on the coil? 

It's definitely odd because the car was essentially fine the day before it completely died, only thing was that the day before, it cut out after a few minutes but then started again, then was fine for the rest of the day. Then the next day there was no spark at all

Image2.jpeg