• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

PhilNW

4th and 5th Gear Whines

PhilNW

Had a previous  problem with a Tranx diff which thought I had cured see below, I have not used it much since then.

The bad news if that the gearbox whine is still there in 4th and 5th gears, (1st 2nd and 3rd are OK) and a lot of backlash/play 

Replaced diff bearings and input shaft bearings when it was rebuilt, no obvious problems with 2nd shaft bearings and no metal swarf on magnet when I stripped it.  

Gearbox was fine for years before the casing got damaged , so is it another problem? I have missed something or put it back together wrong?

Any thoughts what I should look at ?

dcc

Personal experience, whine is a poor mesh between the faces of the gears

SRDT

3rd and 4th are joined on the secondary shaft so if it's a poor mesh it should be from the primary shaft side.

When replacing the bearings did you set the preload correctly?

PhilNW
9 hours ago, SRDT said:

3rd and 4th are joined on the secondary shaft so if it's a poor mesh it should be from the primary shaft side.

When replacing the bearings did you set the preload correctly?

I think so, i was checking the preloads when I found out about the damaged diff cover. Cant work out why only 4th and 5th when 3rd is connected to four.

As a first step think I will take off the outer cover to check for any mis-meshing on 5th