• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mmt

Starving

mmt

I believe my mi 16 suffers from fuel starvation.

goes like a bat out of h… for 1 lap and then dies completely  

The current setup: original tank, fuel filter, low pressure pump, squirl tank, high pressure pump, original fuel filter, rail. And return. 

I believe the squirl tank get too little fuel and empties. 

would I benefit from an extra low pressure pump ???- see drawing- forgot original fuel filter before rail. 

any thoughts or pointers highly appreciated.

thanks

/M 

917ECCF7-83BA-46A4-9E53-B3B0B3457B27.jpeg

Thijs_Rallye

Is this lap an oval? A surge tank normally doesn't have to be that big unless you are driving on an oval with half a tank.

wicked

Is your current low pressure pump in good shape? Double pump sounds a bit weird, because it only has give sufficient flow without significant pressure. 

I have a similar setup in my trackday car, but use the original GTI pump to fill the surge tank. 

Edited by wicked

boldy205

Could it be heat related? Maybe evaporation?

petert

I too use the standard GTi pump to fill a 2L surge tank, which then feeds an 044 pump. Surprising, if the GTi pump fails, the 044 will still pick up fuel, but not enough to race on.

mmt

Thanks guys

the low pressure fuel pump has less than 3 hours in service. It is a Facet posi flow pump. I surely hope it is in good shape. It sounds healthy. 

the high pressure pump is a Bosch - also new, also sounds healthy. 

it is not heat. 

spark plugs suggests that it run lean also Oil temp gets too high too fast. 

it is not oval racing. 

I’ll check if the in tank filter is clogged up and if I could fit a bigger straw into the original tank. Currently the straw is 6 mm I Think maybe a 10 mm Will help cure the problem? 

more thoughts on 2x low pressure pump? 

thanks again. 

Tom Fenton

Why not use a GTI in tank pump to feed the swirl pot?

Spesh

I'm not sure how much difference it would make but your returns are not the 'correct' way around, the top of the pot should be the return to the tank.  Allows air to escape back to the tank easily,

Are you 100% that your fuel rail connections are the correct way around too?

petert

Well spotted Spesh. It does indeed need to be like this. Except the black high arrows are pointing in the wrong direction in the diagram.

Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 7.48.36 am.png

Edited by petert

mmt

Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated. I’ll switch the lines. 

I am taking the original tank of the car to clean it. Inspected it last night and it is full of rubbish. It is quite amazing How much is in there. No wonder the pump could not supply enough fuel. 

wicked

The Facet Posi-Flo Fuel Pump's self-priming capabilities provide up to 12 inches of fuel lift...

The Facet pump is not good at pumping against back pressure (gravity), so likely it will not provide enough flow to keep you swirl pot filled (assuming it is in the boot, couple of inches higher than the fuel tank). 

As said, I would stick to the original GTI pump in the tank.