• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stian_P

Oxygen sensor/lambda

Stian_P

Hi.

Does anyone know if there are any differenses between oxygen sensors? I`m thinking of performance, and longevity of the sensors themselves. I bought a universal type for my cat equipped gti a few years ago, and I`m thinking its on its way out allready, the car is having the same symptoms again. It`s harder to start, and the exhaust is smelling a lot more than it used to. I allso think it`s using more fuel. 

My car has the XU9JAZ engine.

DamirGTI

Yes , there is differences ... not as important on an old car such as 205 , however very important/sensitive for new cars .

Buy quality brand sensors - Bosch , Denso , NGK/NTK .. avoid all the rest unknown stuff .

It's reasonably easy to test the O2 sensor function with the multimeter .. sensor heater element is easy , ignition ON and feel/touch the sensor tip with you're hand/fingers if it's heating up (it should) .

Common problem on later 205's with the XU9JAZ engine is water/moisture ingress inside the O2 sensor wiring connectors , as it's way down below the chassis leg .

Additionally , you have "self diagnosis" function on a XU9JAZ engine (green 2pin connector near the fuel filter) , so you can pull out fault codes , not as much of them but better than nothing .

D

welshpug

Most 4 wire units are much the same, main differences is the wattage of the heater element, the length of the lead and the style of plug/s if included.

Stian_P
4 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

Yes , there is differences ... not as important on an old car such as 205 , however very important/sensitive for new cars .

Buy quality brand sensors - Bosch , Denso , NGK/NTK .. avoid all the rest unknown stuff .

It's reasonably easy to test the O2 sensor function with the multimeter .. sensor heater element is easy , ignition ON and feel/touch the sensor tip with you're hand/fingers if it's heating up (it should) .

Common problem on later 205's with the XU9JAZ engine is water/moisture ingress inside the O2 sensor wiring connectors , as it's way down below the chassis leg .

Additionally , you have "self diagnosis" function on a XU9JAZ engine (green 2pin connector near the fuel filter) , so you can pull out fault codes , not as much of them but better than nothing .

D

Do you know if its possible to change the connectors to a newer type thats waterproof? Or maybe its possible to de-pin the connectors? Then I can allso change some of the wiring if its corroded. 

Guess I Just have to fork out for a new Bosch sensor, they are a bit on the pricey side. But you get what you pay for I guess. 

Anthony
3 hours ago, Stian_P said:

Do you know if its possible to change the connectors to a newer type thats waterproof? Or maybe its possible to de-pin the connectors? Then I can allso change some of the wiring if its corroded. 

Guess I Just have to fork out for a new Bosch sensor, they are a bit on the pricey side. But you get what you pay for I guess. 

You can remove the connectors/pins and replace with a more weatherproof connector - JPT, Superseal or whatever the latch type used on late 90's onwards PSA lambdas are called - but you'll likely run into issues with corroded wire as Damir says.  You really want clean wire to crimp new terminals onto, and ideally use a proper crimping tool for the terminal design you're using (but you can make good crimps with a little patience without).

Bosch sensors are comparatively expensive, but they are worth it over the generic no-names aftermarket ones that never seem to last and can cause odd running issues.  You can with a little lateral thinking find suitable 4 pin Bosch lambdas aimed at various 90's or early 00's era cars that have a manufacturer proprietary connector fitted cheap as NOS or as part of a clearance on eBay, Amazon etc - if you find something otherwise suitable, simply chop off the connector and replace with a suitable one to match the lambda plug on the engine loom.

DamirGTI

Try universal 4 wire Bosch sensor : 0 258 986 506 ... comes with nice sealed connector and special "screw on" tubes for connecting the wiring .

It's rated for 160.000Km's replacement interval , costs usually around +/- 60 EU ... i fitted a fair few to even more modern/newer cars (which tend to be O2 sensor picky) and so far no complains .

Or as Anthony says , browse the web for the OE style sensors with OEM style connectors for older Peugeot's/Citroen's from the 80's/90's , say like for the Peugeot 605 2.0 l . Demand for 605 parts is pretty low so you can find bargain priced stuff , same as Citroen XM and a few others .

Connectors on the O2 sensors for the above cars tend to be different colour than for the 205 ones and with little longer wiring , but otherwise they're the same type of sensors and will plug in directly on the 205 O2 sensor wiring harness .

If you're engine burns oil , or if you're using some zinc rich oil type or adding lead fuel additives that can shorten O2 sensor life considerably too .

D

• Like 1

Stian_P

Thanks guys. I'll see if I can find some connectors to change the originals with, I will also check the wiring for corrosion when Im at it. 

Thanks again for the help, much apreciated. 

Richie-Van-GTi

Symptoms sound more like a faulty temperature sensor to me

Stian_P

I have installed Bosch sensor : 0 258 986 506 as Damir recommended, and the car starts much better now. But now the K-light is lit when I`m driving at a steady speed, if I de-clutch and let the engine idle a little bit it goes away. If I accelerate it dosent come back, only when at a steady pace. I also noticed quite a bit of blue smoke from the exhaust, specially at idle. It goes away when I`m driving away. The smoke looks to me to be the valve stem seales(?), but could this also be the culprit of the K-light? 

The car drives as usual, dosent seem to be down on power or anything else.

Stian_P
On 9/16/2022 at 8:23 PM, Richie-Van-GTi said:

Symptoms sound more like a faulty temperature sensor to me

This will be my next port of call, if it`s not the O2 sensor causing problems. 

DamirGTI

Blue smoke is oil .. grey/black is fuel (rich mixture) .

If it's burning oil that'll foul O2 sensor reading , and in the long run and if excess will damage it permanently .

Did you connect all the O2 sensor wires as per the wiring instructions supplied inside the O2 sensor box ?

Read the ECU fault codes , all you need to do is earth green 2pin diagnostic connector , an switch to activate/deactivate diagnostic mode , and count the MIL lamp flashes (they're just two digits codes on a 205 , easy to read/count) .

My assumption is (if the O2 sensor wiring is connected properly) , that this new working sensor now detects less oxygen in the exhaust but it's false reading less because of the oil fumes present in the exhaust .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

Stian_P
24 minutes ago, DamirGTI said:

Blue smoke is oil .. grey/black is fuel (rich mixture) .

If it's burning oil that'll foul O2 sensor reading , and in the long run and if excess will damage it permanently .

Did you connect all the O2 sensor wires as per the wiring instructions supplied inside the O2 sensor box ?

Read the ECU fault codes , all you need to do is earth green 2pin diagnostic connector , an switch to activate/deactivate diagnostic mode , and count the MIL lamp flashes (they're just two digits codes on a 205 , easy to read/count) .

My assumption is (if the O2 sensor wiring is connected properly) , that this new working sensor now detects less oxygen in the exhaust but it's false reading less because of the oil fumes present in the exhaust .

D

It smells like its burning Oil, so I guess its the valve stem seals. If I rev it up, the k-light goes away for a few seconds, and then comes back on. 

I found a guide online from bosch, two White wires are 12v to heater element, Black wire is signal wire and grey is sensor ground. I dont have the grey wire, so I grounded it to the alu plate where the ignition amp is mounted. 

I read the o2 values from signal wire with engine running, it read between 0.08V and 0.1V regardless of rpm.

How do I activate diagnostic mode?