• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James85

Running issue

James85

Hey folks , just wondering if anyone could help shed light on a running issue I’m having, car is a 89 1.6, car starts and idles fine, but Iv found after driving for 30mins or so it feels Like it randomly judders , almost like Iv dropped a gear while driving, speedometer doesn’t seem to suddenly drop or anything tho stays steady at whatever speed I’m doing, when starting from warm and start driving again it seems to be ok for the first 15mins then again starts to do it? Thinking fuel pump or something which is affected when fuel is warmer? Not sure tho, just wondered if anyone had any advice 

Edited by James85

DamirGTI

Yes , most likely the fuel pump is about to go ... i've had near identical symptoms prior to fuel pump complete failure , it tends to make "judder"/"misfire" sensations (often intermittent) on fully warmed engine for a while and then dies completely afterwards .

Do you have an known good spare fuel pump ? if so , try to replace it .

Pressure test at idle wouldn't reveal anything from my experience at this stage , unless you hook up the pressure gauge so that you can go driving with it and monitoring the pressure whilst driving only then you'll be able to see something .

Other things that might do this kind of issues , would be ignition stuff - mainly coil and ignition module , also both commonly go bad on fully warm engine and under load (coil especially) .

Anyhow , my bet is on the fuel pump going bad .

D

James85

Thanks mate, that’s what I was thinking, I’ll maybe just order up a new one! 

soundguy

Bit late but the first fuel pump failure I had was indicated by a noisier than normal pump. Then it just stopped within a week or two.