• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugfrank

Service items & gaskets etc

pugfrank

Hi all,

Looking ahead on getting my car back on the road.  What's the best place with online order facility's to get service items Oil/ oil filter/ fuel filter etc??

Also need a new sump gasket, fitted a few over the years and they always leak after a short while!  online you can pay £3.00 (GSF) to £30.00 (Spooks)

Cheers

welshpug

I've  used gaskets from gsf, usually corrteco as per oem from memory,  no leaks,  £8 for the last one.

Most local factors can get everything  you need, they all use the same suppliers.

If you dont mind waiting a week and holding out for the bigger discount days then Autodoc  is worth looking at on the App

Anthony

Last time I bought from them, GSF were also selling Purflux oil filters as per OE and for a good price too (obviously use the discount codes that seem to be offered near constantly now).

As with most things, it's less about where you buy it and more about what you buy - avoid the budget own-brands and brands that you've not heard of, stick with the OE and good brands (Bosch etc) and it should be fine.

As per Mei's reply, Autodoc are cheap if you're not in a hurry (typically takes 7-10 days from order to delivery) although it makes most sense with orders of several items due to the fixed postage charge.

Tom Fenton

The key to the sump gasket it leaving it to settle and the re torqueing the bolts. You will find once left the bolts will take quite a bit more tightening to get back to the correct torque. At least overnight with no oil in and a couple of times is best tbh. I also use wellseal sealant on them. They don't leak that way.

pugfrank

Hi Welshpug, Anthony and Tom, 

Thanks for the top tips, I will begin to compile an Autodoc basket :) 

Tom thanks I will try this approach and care.  Always chucked oil straight in and probably started it up to get out in it! plus never would have re torqued up! Lol live and learn. 

DamirGTI

I do them sump gaskets dry , no sealant just the gasket . But also i do at least 3x sump bolts re-torquing in first few miles of driving .

Buy quality gaskets - Elring , V. Reinz , Payen , Corteco ..

The idea behind dry fit is that the added sealant defeats the object of the gasket (fiber type) , as it needs to "eat in" to the metal to seal up both sides .

But feel free to experiment a bit and see what works for you , if adding sealant i'd go with something kinda liquid which the sump gasket can soak in/absorb say like "shellac" gasket compound or similar/equivalent .

There's fast setting RTV's if you wish to use those , there's now from V. Reniz new improved formula of they're popular RTV sealant "Reinzosil" takes only around 5min. and it starts to set in .. it's even too fast for sealing some tricky hard to reach areas !

For majority of the RTV's , give them 24h of drying/hardening before filling up with oil . 

D

Edited by DamirGTI

SRDT
3 hours ago, DamirGTI said:

something kinda liquid which the sump gasket can soak in/absorb say like "shellac" gasket compound or similar/equivalent .

Loctite 5923, Permatex aviation, nasty but does the job.

pugfrank
On 8/19/2022 at 3:15 PM, DamirGTI said:

I do them sump gaskets dry , no sealant just the gasket . But also i do at least 3x sump bolts re-torquing i a first few miles of driving .

Buy quality gaskets - Elring , V. Reinz , Payen , Corteco ..

The idea behind dry fit is that the added sealant defeats the object of the gasket (fiber type) , as it needs to "eat in" to the metal to seal up both sides .

But feel free to experiment a bit and see what works for you , if adding sealant i'd go with something kinda liquid which the sump gasket can soak in/absorb say like "shellac" gasket compound or similar/equivalent .

There's fast setting RTV's if you wish to use those , there's now from V. Reniz new improved formula of they're popular RTV sealant "Reinzosil" takes only around 5min. and it starts to set in .. it's even too fast for sealing some tricky hard to reach areas !

For majority of the RTV's , give them 24h of drying/hardening before filling up with oil . 

D

B)