• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Shane byrne

Engine

Shane byrne

Hi need a little help. 
I have a 1988 1.9 gti that iv been trying to fix up fo many years but can’t find the time . 
The vin number says it should have a D6B engine but it has a DKZ engine instead. Searching the internet it says the DKZ engine is from 1989 ??? Engine number 501181 with a 1cwf6 serial number I think. Can anyone give me any info please 

BB1546F8-57A1-4DDD-B44A-63A51542726D.jpeg

Ryan

DKZ is the later 122hp 1.9 engine. UK GTIs only had it after 1992 (IIRC) and had a catalytic converter. Ireland may have used it earlier, but I don't know what the emissions rules are over there.

If the VIN suggests it originally had a D6B then it's most likely been changed for the DKZ at some point by a previous owner.

Shane byrne

Thanks for that. 
We’ll it’s  on Northern Ireland plates so has to be put in after. So it has Catalytic converter , is there any other differences to original engine? Gear box the same ? Extra stuff that had to be removed changed or added to fit this engine ??

thanks again for the info. 

Leslie green

It might just have had a block as they often crack as you would need to change everything to use the later engine .

DamirGTI

Depends what you have there for real (picture of the engine/engine bay would be nice) .. could be complete DKZ engine , could be just the DKZ block , or you might have mix and match of various engines bits and pieces piled up together - you never know it's been a long time since the 80's !

DKZ engine has little lower compression ratio than the D6B , but better engine management ignition/fueling (digital Motronic 1.3 , instead analogue Jetronic) .

Mechanically - mainly different pistons and camshaft , gearbox/ratios same as D6B .

If it's complete and good healthy engine , personally i wouldn't bother "making it be D6B" (unless it's some concours restoration project)  , especially if the engine management was replaced along with the engine . 

But then , it's up to you what you want to do with it .

D