• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Steve205

New clutch and cable fitted. Pedal very high.

Steve205

Good afternoon.  

Need some advice.  Clutch cable snapped 2 weeks ago. Cable was 12 mths old. Towed my 1989 205 gti 1.6 to local garage. Was advised to change clutch as was putting too much pressure on cable.

Got car back today. Clutch is massively easier to push and works brilliantly.  

Problem is that the clutch pedal is about 2 inches higher than the brake pedal. Bite point is very good, about 1.5 inches from floor. 

I have lengthened the cable as far as I am willing to tske a chance on. (See photos). 

Garage have said pedal will settle once it gets to bed in new pressure plate etc. 

Not sure of clutch brand.

Cable is Quinton Hazell QCC1322

CAR is 1989 1.6 gti. Be1 gearbox. 

Last cable was Firstline FKC 1103.

Is this normal or is there something wrong? 

Thanks for any help. 

20220726_154247.jpg

20220726_154211.jpg

Tom Fenton

Missing the pin between the bell crank and the clutch release lever I’d say. Baker Bm sell it, although it’s an easy job to make one out of a bolt shank or similar. The pedal will not settle, that’s bollocks, but I wouldn’t expect them to know about the pin unless they are really au fait with 205’s. When the cable broke it will have dropped on the floor never to be seen again.

Steve205

Thanks for that Tom. Will look into it. 

Is there any harm done by driving it in the mean time?  

Edited by Steve205

Steve205

Is this the pin you thought was possibly missing Tom? Or is it another pin? Sorry for having to ask. New to a lot of this.

Thanks. Stephen.

Screenshot_20220726-210345_Gallery.jpg

Anthony

That is where the pin goes, but looks like the original was lost when the cable snapped and something else (cut down bolt perhaps?) has been substituted in its place.

Can you roughly measure how long it is, as I wonder if it's the wrong length and that's making the pedal sit oddly.

Steve205

That bolt/pin has been in situ since I bought car over 2 years ago. 2 cables have been inserted since. Pin was not lost either time.

Last cable had clutch sitting perfectly with lots of adjustment both ways on cable.

New clutch assembly is way easier to change gear with (you don't need to have massive thighs) but no adjustment left on cable and clutch at clown-car height. 

Any chance it could be the cable itself? 

New one is Quinton Hazell Qcc1322

Old 1was First-line FKC 1103.

Both are listed as oe 215097 / 215099 replacement. 

Have a first-line on the way today, just in case. 

Car going back to garage in morning and I'm stumped. 

dcc

Is the cable gromit seated properly in the pedal box

welshpug

Check your pedal box, your car will be on the crossover point from a bayonet to push fit.

Steve205

Will check both those suggestions when I get home. 

Garage will hopefully sort it tomorrow.  Looking to push them in the right direction. 

The attachment in my pedal box is the u bend type.

Car seems to be right on changeover point of everything. 

1989. 1.6 gti. 105bhp. Phase 1.5.

It's the adorable mongrel...

Screenshot_20220727-125937_Photos.jpg

Richie-Van-GTi

I would say the issue is in the clutch kit, the travel of pedal to the bite point is relative, regardless of cables and pins in use. If the bite point is correct then the pedal height should be correct.

I can easily adjust mine to raise the pedal like yours but the bite point comes up with it.

The only thing that can affect. That relationship other than the clutch would be having a stretch factor in the cable, that could be caused by the bung not being correctly fitted so it compresses before the clutch fork moves.

Steve205

You are correct. Got car back to garage. They removed Quinton Hazell cable. Fitted the First line cable and clutch pedal height is back to normal now. 

Pedal and bite point are adjustable and relative to each other. 

Quinton Hazell cable must have been faulty in some way. 

Looks fine but was obviously causing the issue.

Thanks for the all the help.

Really appreciate it. 

Stephen. 

• Like 1