• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allanallen

1900 mi16 cambelt tensioners

allanallen

Now then, now then! 

does anybody have any leads on mi16 cambelt tensioners? I can find belts by the bucket load but tensioners seem to have become extinct?! :unsure:

welshpug

I'd try a later xu tensioner, I think its the same 57 diameter, more offset on the eccentric, those are readily available.

• Like 1

petert

It’s the same bearing as fitted to common air conditioners. Just google the part number on a bearing. Obviously you’ll need to press on/off.

• Like 1

allanallen

Cheers gents. My thoughts were to get them off and get at the part no.s but it’d be nice to have them in my hand to swap them straight over. 

first time out since 2019 today :blink:

F8687620-7E10-46F2-B7A0-194DA7B41CD2.jpeg

• Like 1

welshpug

AUTODOC  app is good to find the part number cross reference, there are two oem numbers for it but neither are available.

allanallen

So for anybody that’s interested I’ve got a pair of SKF vkm13202 tensioners from a xu10, which are similar in dimension but have a slightly different pillar mount. Slightly larger holes and the posts need to be slightly longer, you could possibly put a spacer under the xu9j4 pillar to extend it but the slop in the hole put me off a bit. 
I’ve just ordered a pair of 0820.17 pillars off Peugeot which I’m hoping are the correct ones for the tensioners, failing that I’m making some. 
Bit of faffing about but all being well I’ll have a dayco belt and skf tensioner for just shy of £85 so not too horrific! 

BC0880EC-94E0-46A9-AF3A-796A633D1EF3.jpeg

7F6A9CF6-802A-423B-BCA0-F53BC0610F86.jpeg

7020DE73-9E61-47A0-91EF-948E3CBC015A.jpeg

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Surprised you haven’t just made yourself a pair of new pillars Bert!

petert

If they’re not perfect the belt will walk off the exhaust pulley.

allanallen
6 hours ago, Tom Fenton said:

Surprised you haven’t just made yourself a pair of new pillars Bert!

Nearly did as initially they were showing as nfp! See what turns up….

37 minutes ago, petert said:

If they’re not perfect the belt will walk off the exhaust pulley.

Pulley body clamps directly back to the block so the pillar would have to be pretty special to hold them at an angle! 

petert
10 hours ago, allanallen said:

Pulley body clamps directly back to the block so the pillar would have to be pretty special to hold them at an angle! 

It doesn't take much to have the belt wearing through the cam cover. Either slightly worn bearing, cheap new one or poor fit will do it. If the belt doesn't sit square after 2-3 engine rotations by hand I toss them.

• Like 1

allanallen
19 hours ago, petert said:

It doesn't take much to have the belt wearing through the cam cover. Either slightly worn bearing, cheap new one or poor fit will do it. If the belt doesn't sit square after 2-3 engine rotations by hand I toss them.

I can imagine Peter! I have arguments with a linisher at work that does a very similar thing if not set up perfectly! 

good news is everything bolted up nicely and after 10 or so revolutions all

is good, few more jobs until I can start it and re check the timing and tension. 
it’s got Kent vernier pulleys so couldn’t pin them, bit of a pain working to marks, I’ll get the clocks on it after I’ve run it and check the lift a TDC is in roughly the same ball park. 

im almost enjoying working on it, almost….

• Like 1

allanallen

For anyone interested and for completion of the thread, what I’ve done with the new tensioners works but after sleeping on it I wasn’t happy with it.
The new style pulley doesn’t have the eccentric piece on the base which means when you try to rotate the front pulley anti-clockwise to tension the belt it fouls on the Allen headed block plug. I initially rotated it clockwise, this however lengthens the front belt run but worse for me is that the force from the belt is constantly trying to undo the pulley. It’ll probably be fine in practice but it didn’t bode well with me and I’m almost certain the correct procedure is to rotate both tensioners anti clockwise for this exact reason. 

So I’ve ended up with the new style pulley on the rear and an old style pulley on the front, the front pulley was from spoox, I couldn’t find stock anywhere else, not cheap at £72 plus postage although Peugeots last list price was £68 +vat each! 

so there we go, not such a cheap cambelt replacement in the end :rolleyes:

petert

Anticlockwise indeed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-04 at 9.26.26 pm.png

Fumanchu

I’ve just picked up a 205 fitted with a mi16 engine which needs the cambelt changing. Looking at the Spoox site, is this the tensioner mentioned above: https://spoox.co.uk/405/8921-genuine-oe-peugeot-405-19-mi16-cambelt-tensioner-xu9j4.html

If do, it’s damn expensive. Are there any other alternatives?

Edited by Fumanchu

Tom Fenton

Yes, also good news is you need 2 of them.

• Haha 1

petert

Shop around and see if you can buy a kit with a belt and two tensioners.

boldy205
11 hours ago, Fumanchu said:

I’ve just picked up a 205 fitted with a mi16 engine which needs the cambelt changing. Looking at the Spoox site, is this the tensioner mentioned above: https://spoox.co.uk/405/8921-genuine-oe-peugeot-405-19-mi16-cambelt-tensioner-xu9j4.html

If do, it’s damn expensive. Are there any other alternatives?

That's a hilarious price! Imagine how many perfectly serviceable ones have been thrown away after time related belt changes!

jord294

Gti 6

allanallen

I couldn’t find them anywhere else other than spoox. I spent hours calling various bearing places and cross referencing part numbers to no avail, I’m happy to be proven wrong though if anyone sources any. 

I really wouldn’t use a pair of gti6/xu10 pulleys, fine for the rear one but not for the front, it’s a bodge. 

Edit. FFS I nearly cried paying £70 for one earlier in the year! 168 quid! 

Edited by allanallen

DamirGTI

There's a few which pop up occasionally .. usually just a few pieces on stock appear and disappear ! 

Try : Dayco ATB2018

.. from where i buy spare parts there's currently 2 on stock .

D

pug_ham

Bit of a thread resurrection but does anybody know if the XU7J4 1.8 16v engine kits could be used as an alternative or do the use the wider bearings like the XU10's?

g

pug_ham

Just answered my own question after a few minutes research, same kit on the XU7JP4 as the later XU10's, or at least those I've found so far.  :(

g

welshpug

worth keeping an eye out on Autodoc, they had a small batch of QH MI16 timing belt kits in at the end of last year.

pug_ham
4 hours ago, welshpug said:

worth keeping an eye out on Autodoc, they had a small batch of QH MI16 timing belt kits in at the end of last year.

I'll have a look now but quite a few of the 205 parts I had in my autodoc wishlist on there have disappeared this last week or two.

g

allanallen
Posted (edited)

As welshpug says QH kits seem to be available now code is QBK322. Our local factors got a kit in about a month ago. 

Edited by allanallen
  • Like 1