• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Clapton_Is_God

Speedo not working

Clapton_Is_God

Hello All,

My GTI 6 has been running poorly and I think I may have determined the problem but could do with some further help. 

At the same time as the poor running started the speedo stopped working. I've looked into it and I'm fairly sure the speedo drive (speed sensor?) on the gearbox has in some way failed. With it all disconnected, when I turn the drive cog manually it doesn't turn the cable in the dash. The car is fitted with a Citroën Xsara VTS gearbox.

It's been a whole since I fitted it all and I can't remember what's what. Do I need a new speedo drive for the VTS box (not 205 box) and keep the black cog from 205? Is the speedo drive the same thing as a speed sensor? 

Also, where can I buy one?

Update I've now removed it completely and when turned manually it does now spin the cable. However, the end of the piece with the cog on that goes into the sensor looks chewed. Is this right? Picture attached. 

20220625_134200.jpg

Edited by Clapton_Is_God
More information

welshpug

That white bit is the bottom of the square drive shaft that should be attached to the sensor.

You need a dual vss, neither 205 nor xsara!   Early 306 405 etc had them, still available  new.

They won't  come with the drive pinion so you'll  need to pull the remains of the square shaft out and fit it to the new part.

Clapton_Is_God
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

That white bit is the bottom of the square drive shaft that should be attached to the sensor.

You need a dual vss, neither 205 nor xsara!   Early 306 405 etc had them, still available  new.

They won't  come with the drive pinion so you'll  need to pull the remains of the square shaft out and fit it to the new part.

Perfect, thank you so much :-)