• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James85

Oil pressure guage jumpy

James85

Hey folks, just wondered if the oil pressure gauge should be jumpy while accelerating, seems to sit steady when idling but when you put the foot down it goes all

jumpy, is this normal?

pug_ham

Does it move smoothly as the rev's rise & stay in position when you hold the rev's steady?

If it does then that sounds like normal activity, oil pressure increases as you raise the rpm & drops back again when you return the engine to idle.

g

James85
9 minutes ago, pug_ham said:

Does it move smoothly as the rev's rise & stay in position when you hold the rev's steady?

If it does then that sounds like normal activity, oil pressure increases as you raise the rpm & drops back again when you return the engine to idle.

g

No it does rise as the revs increase but if I’m holding the revs steady it jumps all over the place, guessing this ain’t normal then, trying to trace a oil leak wondering if this issue is related or if I need a new pressure guage 

mmt

In my experience look at the sender Unit, wire and then gauge. I would not suspect an Oil leak. 

Richie-Van-GTi

Sounds like a bad sender. 

Thijs_Rallye

If it jumps to the max you also could have a short to earth in the signal wire somewhere.

pug_ham
12 hours ago, James85 said:

No it does rise as the revs increase but if I’m holding the revs steady it jumps all over the place, guessing this ain’t normal then, trying to trace a oil leak wondering if this issue is related or if I need a new pressure guage 

The oil pressure sender is at the front of the block, just under the inlet manifold behind the next to the alternator so if your oil leak is more towards the back of the engine (as suggested by your other topic) then I wouldn't suspect the sender is your cause.  

I have known the oil pressure warning switch sender to leak but it's next to the pressure sender.

Look at the front r/h side of the sump, if it's dry then it's not these imo.

As suggested, check your wiring as if the insulation is bad & there bare wire is contacting your block somewhere, it will send the gauge to max reading when it makes contact.

g

welshpug

Has the crank pulley been off recently?

• Like 1

James85
On 6/8/2022 at 10:49 AM, welshpug said:

Has the crank pulley been off recently?

No idea mate, just got the car. In the garage today and he’s giving it a once over, he’s suggesting possibly a leak from the head gasket, not what I wanted to hear 

James85
On 6/8/2022 at 10:21 AM, pug_ham said:

The oil pressure sender is at the front of the block, just under the inlet manifold behind the next to the alternator so if your oil leak is more towards the back of the engine (as suggested by your other topic) then I wouldn't suspect the sender is your cause.  

I have known the oil pressure warning switch sender to leak but it's next to the pressure sender.

Look at the front r/h side of the sump, if it's dry then it's not these imo.

As suggested, check your wiring as if the insulation is bad & there bare wire is contacting your block somewhere, it will send the gauge to max reading when it makes contact.

g

It’s deffo coming from higher up the back of the block, mechanic possibly suggesting head gasket, he’s giving it a proper look over tomorrow tho so hopefully not, that’s one of the last things I wanted to hear haha

pug_ham

Unlikely to be the head gasket imo, possibly the rocker cover gasket as they can give an issue now & again if someone has been a spanner monkey tightening them down.

On rare occasions the oil dipstick tube can come loose & leak but that's usually only if it's been out before & the bolt at the back of the head is missing that holds it in place.

g

James85

Hopefully mate, last thing I need to deal with now , cad seemed to be running perfect with no other signs apart from the leak , soo hopefully it’s something you suggested there or a camshaft seal or something, should have a bit more info tomorrow so will post an update!

Telf

They often leak from the top right hand corner of the cam cover or from the dizzy.

Check your wiring from the pressure sender below the inlet manifold . Its probably knackered , the tags are probably worn.

If your pressure light isn't coming on then I wouldn't worry too much. I think if I remember correct the warning light comes on at13psi or less.

Edited by Telf