• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maturin23

1.9 GTI Servo rebuild kits

maturin23

Hi all,

First post in 5 years - it's all very nostalgic being back on here! I've seen a few familiar posters who are still around - hi to all of you.

I'm having a little refresh on my Mi16 205. The brake pedal is sticking slightly and not retracting fully after a bit of use and the brakes are binding. I can hook the pedal up with my foot and that releases the brake, but that's not an ideal solution. This is after suggesting that my mechanic adjusts the servo bar - this improved things but not completely.

Given the car is 34 years old I'm planning on fitting a new master cylinder and servo (Bosch MS ordered already) but after a bit of research on here it seems like the 8" servos are as rare as Geordie lass in a long skirt.

Can anyone send me a link or suggest a source for a rebuilt kit that would be appropriate? 

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

jord294

The name escapes me but 205 gti servo 200mm is available new from Europe. Pretty sure the museum also sells them. 

Don't be attracted to the 225mm version someone is/was selling on ebay, as they are led version

Richie-Van-GTi

Try youngtimers website and peugeot museum as i believe both sell new.

A rebuild is quite invilved due to the way the servo is crimped together to form the seal on the 2 parts.

A sticky pedal is more likely down to the pedal box, i cant see the servo internals sticking in that manner. They tend to leak long before they jam.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

DamirGTI

I'd be looking at replacing just the MC first .. replace , bleed the brakes , and see what happens .

Brakes binding and no releasing could well be bad/rotten/swollen MC seals ... this can create braking issue similar like the sticky caliper piston .

From my personal experience servo drum on a 205's usually lasts for ages , unlikely it's bad i'd say  ... however , if the MC leaks brake fluid at the back ie. inside the servo drum and if left like so for a few years brake fluid will eventually eat/damage the diaphragms inside the servo .

D

pugdamo

I would also look at the pivots on the pedal box first, never seen it on a 205 to be fair but have on other vehicles so could be a quicker and simpler solution. 

28hodge

I am having this exact same issue, we had it on a targa rally where the brakes got a real work out, driven on the road normal usage etc they seem fine but really use them and the pedal stick down a binds. hoik the pedal up and they release fine.

Not ideal in a test to be honest.