• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gohn

205 Diesel Filter Units

Gohn

this might bore the petrol owners so apologies there

but for the occassional diesel 205 XUDiesel owner they may be interested

because I've had a few versions of these filters now I thought it might be worth relaying how they go

Peugeot/Citroen used the XUD7 and XUD9 in a bunch of models with at least six different variations or versions of diesel filters

I've experienced three and a bit of them

the 205turbodiesels came with the diaphram filter with a rubber diaphram top, its got a black plastic round button to manually pump the fuel

sometimes the lid is sloped and sometimes flat but its the same diaphram mechanism, pic 1

I've had two and gave these a fair shot. one failed, bought another, it failed bought parts to fix it, then gave up on it

the rubber diaphram wears out and lets in heaps of air into your diesel

the late model 205D's came with the 'top hat' black plastic unit with the 4 bolts holding the lid down, pic 2

its integrated into the thermostat housing beneath which warms the diesel thru the heat exchanger base

my '94 205D has the top hat filter unit, and I've not had any problems so far

its got no diaphram to fail, but its plastic and the thermostat is cast ally, they bolt together with an oring in between

plastic and aluminum expand/contract at different rates so the seal is notorious for leaks

sealants may help but its not ideal

the D and Dturbo 306's and 405's also had this filter, its usually got leaky residue coming down from the oring seal/join

lately, I've gone way back to go forward..

the very early 205D had a separate filter bolted in the right rear corner of the engine bay, it was a plunger type shown in pic3

the little black plastic tessalated head is unscrewed and then you can plunge it up and down like a pump

it came with either a heat exchanger base to warm the diesel (pic 4) or a regular base with a tap to bleed the water out

there's no rubber diaphram to fail, and you can rig up the heat exhchanger base if you're in a cold country without the Dturbo one on the block

I figure the filter is for filterin, so I left off the heat exchanger (stuck on a perspex base instead) and don't use the plunger top as I installed a separate bulb into the diesel line

took a while to find one but it cleaned up ok and works good so far

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Gohn
typos