• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Richie-Van-GTi

Identifying cams with no markings

Richie-Van-GTi

I put 2 cams away wrapped in plastic and wd40, i wrote on the plastic what they were but its disappeared over time.

One cam was soaked in deox before packing away, the other sprayed with wd40.

I can no longer make out the lines on them to identify them. Can anyone help me identify them?

The shinier one looks to have 2 bands between the end 2 lobes.

The duller cam has different bearing journals (wider)

IMG20220524142005.jpg

IMG20220524142102.jpg

Thijs_Rallye

I think the cam with the two brown markings is a D6B camshaft.

Richie-Van-GTi
3 hours ago, Thijs_Rallye said:

I think the cam with the two brown markings is a D6B camshaft.

I believe so as well, i have found multiple sources to say that is a D6B and it measures 11.3mm lift

petert

D6B should be 11.3mm on both lobes. DKZ is 11.3 inlet and 10.3 exhaust. DFZ is 10.3 on both lobes.

• Like 1

Richie-Van-GTi
3 hours ago, petert said:

D6B should be 11.3mm on both lobes. DKZ is 11.3 inlet and 10.3 exhaust. DFZ is 10.3 on both lobes.

Other cam is DFZ then i believe as both lobes were in the 10's. Unless a 1.6 cam has similar as i was sure i had a 1.9 and a 1.6 cam.

Edited by Richie-Van-GTi

DamirGTI

1.6 cams are tricky to identify .. early ones are easy (chamfered lobe edges) but later 1.6 cams are a bit confusing ..

Also OE identification data lacks all 1.6 cam paint ring markings .

I've seen them with the markings on the same spot as the 1.9 D6B cam (like on you're firs pic) , but on 1.6 cams seems like lighter colour paint rings (cream/white) wile 1.9 D6B cams always have darker paint rings (brown) .

Seen also some late 1.6 cams with just one brown paint ring mark on/between the 2-nd cylinder in.-ex. cam lobes .

Early 1.6 cams are : 10.4 mm

Late 1.6 : 9.7 mm

Having or not having "extra lobe" on the distributor end of the cam can also help .. it's used to drive the mechanical fuel pump on non injection models .

Neither one of the 1.9 D6B cams which i've seen to this day doesn't have that "extra lobe" on the dizzy end , 1.9 DKZ and DFZ have it ,  1.6 B6D - not sure , but me thinks it does too .

D