• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

C0rnflakes

Help needed with MA5 driveshaft seal removal

C0rnflakes

Hey all,

I’ve been working to replace the driveshaft seals on my 1989 Peugeot 205 GR (TU3 w/ MA5) due to an oil leak suspected to be coming from them. I’ve replaced the passenger side (short side) no issue, prying it out with a flat head screwdriver and popping in a new one, that fits nicely. Then I ran in to issues with the driver’s side (long side).

I took the driveshaft out as usual, withdrawing it from the intermediate bracket etc, but when I came to the driveshaft seal, it was quite heavily damaged and didn’t look at all how I expected. I’ll attach some photos, but I’d be so grateful if anyone could give advice on what to remove and how to remove it here.. Also perhaps what part I’d need to put back. I’ve got a seal to go in, but it looks totally different to what’s currently on the car. 

so far, as you’ll be able to see, I’ve removed most of the decayed rubber from the old seal, and I’ve tried to pry out the metal sleeve gently with a flat head, but I stopped in fear of damaging something expensive! I’m quite stumped at the moment!

Thanks,

Will

6F8B71FD-27B5-475C-8D23-195A942E7A72.jpeg

6D461746-FBF9-4616-9366-F3E0B7567FA6.jpeg

881ECA84-1D34-43F3-953B-0EA49372ED45.jpeg

PhilNW

Metal ring? 

With a wide screwdriver or flat chisel and hammer, tap the outer side of the ring to the centre and collapse it inwards.

Edited by PhilNW

C0rnflakes
1 hour ago, PhilNW said:

Metal ring? 

With a wide screwdriver or flat chisel and hammer, tap the outer side of the ring to the centre and collapse it inwards.

Got it out! Thank you so much. What a pain in the backside. Ended up doing exactly what you said, collapsed it inwards a bit and then pried it out with a flat head. You’re awesome, thank you!!! 

Gonna replace this one with a rubber seal so I don’t have such a problem next time.

Will

PhilNW

No worries