• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pugfrank

Cutting out rusty metal in tight area for welding repair? How?

pugfrank

Hi all, 

Any suggestions to what power tool I can use to cut out old rusty metal in tight areas ready for me to attempt welding in new metal!

Areas are both in rear wheel arch, I cant get a small 4" angle grinder in as too large, had thought about a Dremel with cutting disk but cant get the correct angle to make a neat cut!  any help much appreciated thanks. 

Screenshot 2022-03-21 195236.jpg

Screenshot 2022-03-21 195312.jpg

Gohn

you can get right angle attachments for dremel..

but its doubtful anything will get in and cut there

instead of replacing bits of a piece it will probably be easier and structurally better to just replace the whole piece

this place has them :

http://www.peugeot205.nl/427990086/product/5128765/rear-quarter-bumpermount-side-repair-bracket-left?catid=748445

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 11.00.00 AM.png

pugfrank
5 hours ago, Gohn said:

you can get right angle attachments for dremel..

but its doubtful anything will get in and cut there

instead of replacing bits of a piece it will probably be easier and structurally better to just replace the whole piece

this place has them :

http://www.peugeot205.nl/427990086/product/5128765/rear-quarter-bumpermount-side-repair-bracket-left?catid=748445

Screen Shot 2022-03-22 at 11.00.00 AM.png

Hi Gohn, 

Yes thanks great idea with the Dremel attachment hadn't seen this one before. But as you say still a little bulky.  

The repair panel is a great idea too, my only hesitation with removing the whole area is the car has only just had a fresh paint blow over of paint on the full exterior! So Im assuming if you replace the whole repair section around the edge were you spot/plug weld you have a very high risk of  affecting the paint! through the heat it is going to be exposed too from the mig. 

This is my first attempt at welding too, Ive done some practice on the bench tack welding seem to do ok. upside down in a tight space on the car is going to be a challenge. 

Perhaps ill have a search on the forum for anyone else that has documented this repair, interested in methods of removing old section etc. 

Gohn
3 hours ago, pugfrank said:

the car has only just had a fresh paint blow over of paint on the full exterior

bugger !

normal sequence is to work outward to avoid this problem, but you'd already know that

haven't had to poke around there myself (205's here virtually no rust)

but its a good start, onward to a sound shell

pugfrank
16 minutes ago, Gohn said:

bugger !

normal sequence is to work outward to avoid this problem, but you'd already know that

haven't had to poke around there myself (205's here virtually no rust)

but its a good start, onward to a sound shell

Yes being my first 205 completely missed the area! bumper mounts on both sides had no sign off rust on them from outside! and underside looked good, I picked away at a pin hole in the underseal in arch area to find this! Doh 

pugfrank

best power tool accessories to rub off rust in tight areas please? 

Tom Fenton

A narrow belt sander is useful. Either air powered or electric. I use a black and decker powerfile, other makes are available e.g. silverline etc. You need the blue zirconium belts for steel, the brown ones commonly available are intended for wood and won't last 2 min.

pugfrank
19 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

A narrow belt sander is useful. Either air powered or electric. I use a black and decker powerfile, other makes are available e.g. silverline etc. You need the blue zirconium belts for steel, the brown ones commonly available are intended for wood and won't last 2 min.

Thanks Tom.

pugfrank

Made some progress at weekend. I used a small drill bit to stitch drill the steel on car then finished off with junior hacksaw blade and Dremel.

Seemed to make better progress once I turned the gas on LOL!  

image.png.fce2ca5ec756d14a45a633b8093c9025.png

pugfrank

Inside shot shows good penetration to weld. 

image.png.ca2a25d55622fc46440bcbb834ca271d.png

pugfrank
On 3/28/2022 at 11:52 AM, pugfrank said:

Made some progress at weekend. I used a small drill bit to stitch drill the steel on car then finished off with junior hacksaw blade and Dremel.

Seemed to make better progress once I turned the gas on LOL!  

image.png.fce2ca5ec756d14a45a633b8093c9025.png

HELP! Welds gone from as above to as below!

Settings not changed on welder!

image.png.5a4927a1505ce0b281a0f5d3851c4c5d.png

Tom Fenton

Run out of gas 

pugfrank
5 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

Run out of gas 

Thanks Tom, new gas bottle purchased, but think my regulator has packed up! Doesn't appear to be letting gas out of new bottle I just purchased from Halfords! Doh. 

pugfrank
5 minutes ago, pugfrank said:

Thanks Tom, new gas bottle purchased, but think my regulator has packed up! Doesn't appear to be letting gas out of new bottle I just purchased from Halfords! Doh. 

Can any one recommend a reliable regulator, only using the SIP disposable bottles on my DIY welder. This one was a £30 Sealy one from Amazon! 

pugfrank

OMG, thats what its like to weld with consistent flow of gas! Lol eureka moment! It appears my faulty regulator was letting out an initial burst then no gas! FIrst welds ground back then plugged all the holes and gaps. 

image.png.de0a499c5e778a91f9b77494e4f033e9.png

Leslie green

If you have compressed air a little right angle die grinder with roloc discs will get in there but not everybody has compressed air . making good progress anyway.If you are planning on doing anymore welding get a proper cylinder , ones where you buy it as the disposable bottle are a complete ripoff cost wise. Once you have the cylinder and a regulator the cost of a refill is very cheap and there is a huge amount of welding in a cylinder ie more than a year for hobby use.

Edited by Leslie green

pugfrank
On 4/1/2022 at 9:17 PM, Leslie green said:

If you have compressed air a little right angle die grinder with roloc discs will get in there but not everybody has compressed air . making good progress anyway.If you are planning on doing anymore welding get a proper cylinder , ones where you buy it as the disposable bottle are a complete ripoff cost wise. Once you have the cylinder and a regulator the cost of a refill is very cheap and there is a huge amount of welding in a cylinder ie more than a year for hobby use.

B)