• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

smithy72

Brake Servo replacement

smithy72

I am just finishing the restoration of my 1.6Gti. MOT booked for a weeks time (not been MOT'd for nearly 20 years!). Was all happy and then I noticed when I turned the engine off there was a hissing sound.

Brake Servo is the only part of the braking that I didn't change. So I thought I would replace it, until I looked for one!

I can't find new or second hand (well I did find a new one for £500+ but that’s not happening).

Does anyone have any ideas of where to go next? Any way to rebuild or happy to use a modern equivalent if it means a little modification to bolt holes etc.?

Any help appreciated.

joris_andriesse

I recently replaced mine for a 306 version, have a search on the forum, you can find part nr in a related topic.

Be aware, with the 306 version you will also need to change the mbc since the mounting bolts on the servo are placed a bit differently. 

smithy72

Thanks.

Was that an 8" Servo though? I am having trouble finding anything as small as the 8" Servo used on RHD models as it seems most european models used 9"

I believe, from what I have read, that LHD models can take a bigger (or had a bigger) sevo.

From what I can see the stock / second hand availability is pretty poor now.

joris_andriesse

I think it was 9 inch, but since I drive LHD that isn't a problem. 

Not sure how much space there is with RHD, perhaps one of the other members can tell.

SRDT

For RHD GTI: 178mm up to MY 1988 and then 200mm.