• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
drj545

1.9 GTI ABS - rear brake load compensators?

drj545

Hello,

I’m restoring a ‘91 205 GTI 1.9 with abs, and am currently refurbishing the rear beam. I’ve come across the 2 brake load compensators/regulators at each side (the ones with the small pushrod onto the trailing arm). These have turned to dust on removal, and are impossible to replace. 

My question is: Is it worth trying to retrofit a similar compensator/regulator from a 306, or just bin the lot and fit the 2 small inline compensators that a 1.9 without abs would have (those fitted behind the fuel tank)?

I’ve seen this picture below which I think is a 205, but has a 306 compensator fitted. I would only need the 1 unit, but would have to run both pipes to the rear of the car to it, and then a pipe across the beam to the other wheel. Is it worth the hassle?

7CF8BE0B-8BFB-41E0-B7C7-2B950D0AAF06.jpeg

Tom Fenton

I think I’d go for the non abs 1.9 compensators 

joris_andriesse

If you want to go for as original as possible, you might want to consider to use these load dependend restrictors. Otherwise, just use the standard ones, you will not notice the difference.

wicked

You could argue if using 306 compensators is more 'original' than non-abs 205 restrictors... 

joris_andriesse

True

drj545

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not too precious about originality - if I could find some original compensators at a reasonable cost I’d buy and fit them, but they don’t seem to be available. If the in-line compensators work then great - just don’t want the back to lock up if I stomp on the brakes! 

Phoned the dealer today to see if they could help, but they no longer supply them - long shot I know. 

I’ve got bigger things to worry about anyway as can be seen below!

59F518A4-B32C-4823-BCE3-C4B0BAA18A44.jpeg

joris_andriesse

Dealer won't have them, but you will for sure be able to find them online (not cheap though).
Nice project, will need a bit of elbow grease :)

Gohn

the peugeot shop has 2 versions listed for the 1.9GTi:

- https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/205/6656-compensateur-repere-e.html

- https://www.pieces-de-rechange-classic.com/205/180117-compensateur-repere-f.html

and this ebay seller has 1 also

Screen Shot 2022-02-24 at 11.52.10 PM.png

welshpug

yes early and late variants, I thought the later had superseeded but evidently not!

2-Pugs

When you get it up and running i can help you diagnose and fix any faults if the light stays on (eg indicating  fault).