• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
camarda

205 GTI XU9JA swap

camarda

Picking up an 87 205 GTI 1.9 on Friday.

I'm getting a mechanic to do a pressure test on the cooling system and check over the car for me before I make the full purchase. I'm paying 15k AUD which I think is an ok price in this market.

I'm in Australia and I have just noticed that the Australian model 1.9 have a XU9J1/Z and only make 76 Kw rather than the XU9JA in the euro market that makes 94 Kw. 

I am wondering if 

a) I can swap in a XU9JA

or

b) I can put a XU9JA head on the original engine and delete the cat

I would prefer not to move to an mi16 if possible to maintain the originality of the car.

I also noticed the series one Australian model has rear drum brakes which is a shame but if anyone has any info on how to swap the rear brakes with discs that would be appreciated.

3A9ACC51-DFC8-43DF-8A44-0978C47CD33E.heic

97D56DED-5FC7-4B32-9DEA-E2D7BFA5A317.heic

welshpug

a)   yes of course, you would need the whole lot, engine, loom, ecu, engine management components.

b)   also yes, if I'm not mistaken the 9J1 pistons are small dish 1.6 type and the head has a larger chamber with shorter valves,   bolting on the 9JA head will give a nice bump in compression to around 11-1 from memory, ideal for a mild cam upgrade to go in at the same time.

as for cat deleting that depends on the laws in your state, either option would be using a non cat headand engine management to give more appropriate fuelling and ignition.

discs I personally wouldn't bother changing to, there's nothing wrong with a well setup drum brake.

petert

Put an Si or DKZ head on your DFZ block. Not the Si cam though. It's a $10K fine from the EPA if you get caught without a cat.

Thijs_Rallye
13 hours ago, welshpug said:

a)   yes of course, you would need the whole lot, engine, loom, ecu, engine management components. 

Afaik the looms are plug and play between the XU9JA and XU9J1. So you can keep the J1 loom whilst using the JA AFM / ECU and dizzy.

welshpug

the J1 cat engine used Jetronic?

petert
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

the J1 cat engine used Jetronic?

Indeed.

camarda
6 hours ago, petert said:

Put an Si or DKZ head on your DFZ block. Not the Si cam though. It's a $10K fine from the EPA if you get caught without a cat.

Sorry, new to this. So the Si and DKZ heads are from which engines? Do you know where i can source these? I have some mechanical knowledge. Is it a job i can do over a weekend with a torque wrench. How much would the final power be. 

I also have someone willing to sell me an mi16 for 1.5k with wiring loom and intake manifold, no ecu though. Im trying to find a complete one as maybe doing the mi16 swap with all parts would be better than trying to change the head of the original 8v. I notice you have 2 Mi16s 205. If i were to modify the exhaust manifold beforehand and the radiator cut all preprepared.  Could i do the swap over a weekend using the original gearbox, how hard is it. I might be able to have access to my mechanics hoist etc. 

If anyone is selling a whole mi16 with ecu and loom let me know. 

Or any of those heads mentioned above.

Cheers.

SRDT

SI should be the 1.6 monopoint injection (XU5M) engine and DKZ is the 122hp GTI (XU9JAZ) engine.

petert
2 hours ago, SRDT said:

SI should be the 1.6 monopoint injection (XU5M) engine and DKZ is the 122hp GTI (XU9JAZ) engine.

Yes, the head casting and valves are identical, but not the cam. Given the recent increase in value of 205’s, I’d avoid the 16V and just swap the head. It will be mid-high 10’s comp ratio. This creates other issues, as the DFZ dizzy has too much centrifugal advance. It’s easily overcome however.

DKZ is late model 205 GTi, with Motronic ecu

Si, as in 205 Si 1.6L